First knife

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Ok, this is my first attempt at a knife so go easy on me, the blade is a 3.7inch lauri, carbon steel with a nickel silver bolster, leather spacer and a Lime burr handle, I didn't really have an idea for the shape of the handle I just tried to shape it so that it is a comfortable fit in my hand, I am quite pleased with how it turned out in the end. I will be using this knife for work, cutting ropes and perhaps a bit of carving, I finnished the handle with Linseed oil and it really brought out the markings of the wood a treat. I actually enjoyed this project and am looking forward to starting another very soon.
Heres a few pics hope you guys like it.

firstknife4.jpg

firstknife5.jpg

I look forward to your comments.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Wellllll, actually, hum,, how can I put this :thinkerg: Oh Yes I like it! It's a good looking knife. Love the wood, the shape is nice and rounded. Looks like it going to be easy to hold and use. Well done. Now where is the sheath for it :naughty:??

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Cheers jojo for the kind comment, well the sheath is on the way just been dyed, its not a scandi sheath though, just something that will be hard wearing and able to take some knocks, I will post some pics when its finished for you to see.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Looks great, very envious. May I ask where you got the blade?
I got it from Bens Backwoods.
Thanks for the comments guys it means alot, the blade is as sharp as you would like, I am very impressed with them really.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks addo, hope you enjoy making your first knife as much as I did.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Cheers Bernie, nearly there with the sheath just needs waxing, I still have a couple of pieces of the Lime burr left, cut like scales, I was looking at them before wondering if I could hollow them out and stick them together to make a wooden sheath ala scandi style, not too sure if they are too thin though.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Cheers Bernie, nearly there with the sheath just needs waxing, I still have a couple of pieces of the Lime burr left, cut like scales, I was looking at them before wondering if I could hollow them out and stick them together to make a wooden sheath ala scandi style, not too sure if they are too thin though.

good idea simon,i think they'd be thick enough to hollow out and glue together,and a pleasant change from leather,if you go that way would like to see the end result.

bernie

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
One problem is the leather I have for the top part is 3mm thick, might have to get some more leather, saying that it might shrink a little if I wet mould it to the wooden part of the sheath. I will try this for sure just as a test if it doesn't work out I will always have the leather one I have made for it. I'll post some pics if it works out ok.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Personally, I don't like the look of the handle. Wood is beautiful though, and it looks neatly done. Is it the picture or is there a little gap in between the leather and wood?

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
One problem is the leather I have for the top part is 3mm thick, might have to get some more leather, saying that it might shrink a little if I wet mould it to the wooden part of the sheath. I will try this for sure just as a test if it doesn't work out I will always have the leather one I have made for it. I'll post some pics if it works out ok.

2 mm Halftanned leather works well that is what I used for the one i made.

Go for it they look good in leather and wood IMO

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE