First hicking stick with wood spirit carving

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
This is a hiking stick on which I carved a wood spirit on yesterday. I have made sticks before, but this is the first time I carved a spirit (or a face for that matter)

DSCN0556.jpg

DSCN0555.jpg

DSCN0551.jpg

I have wrapped paracord for the handle, but I think I am going to replace it with wrapped leather instead.

He looks a bit grumpy, but that's because he's seen some nerk dropping litter in His Wood and He disapproves :cussing:

Sorry about the poor pics. I really must get a camera with a macro facility soon. But the grass is perfectly focused:rolleyes:
Thanks for looking.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks for the kind comments:) I used the stick yesterday for a walk down the marshes. The paracord wrap on the handle is not particularly comfortable to hold, and also was not tight enough and slipped, so its got to go!! I can use either soft leather, or make some yucca fibres plaited cordage and wrap that as a handle. What d'ya think?? Anyone used yucca cordage for a wrap handle either on a stick or a bow?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I think I better own up here! It is my first one, and because I have never carved a face before, I followed some instructions in a book, to get the proportions sort of right. Now despite following those instructions, my face looks different from the one in the book. I have finished another one and that looks different again.

As to the tools, I have a set of 5 small Japanese carving chisels and I have used those, I'll post some pics tomorrow of the second stick, and of the tools. They are not perfectly suited though, despite being small, they were a bit too big for the eyes particularly. I tried to only use the tools to have a tooled finish but could not resist using a bit of sand paper! Only 220 grit mind you:D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Another couple of pics of the two sticks together. I have kept the bark on the second one. They were both cut at the same time, but still having the bark on made a lot of difference: the wood is still very wet compared to the first one.

DSCN0561.jpg

DSCN0562.jpg

These are the tools I used to carve the faces

DSCN0563.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE