First Aid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Is there a specific first aid course that is aimed at bushcraft? I.e what to do alone in the wild or with a friend that is injured rigging up a stretcher etc?

Dave

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Forest Knights have run a course a year for the past couple of years and have given BCUK members a discount. The course is 4 days in the woods and is quite comprehensive. Wayne Jones of Froest Knights is a member on here (username "wayne").

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
The problem I find with the basic first aid courses is that they still work to the FAW style course which is very much a 'wait for the ambulance' approach to first aid.

Having said that, the Forest Knights course was fun and we definitely rigged up a stretcher.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We'll be doing another wilderness first aid course with Forest Knights, we've been doing them since 2006 and they're very popular, especially at the nearly half price we negotiate for members. We'll have details up in the new year for the 2011 course.

Our Adventurous Activities First Aid course covers a wide range of skills not covered in HSE FAW courses and are aimed at multi disciplined outdoors instructors or enthusiasts. We also run Forest School first aid courses (I'm a Level 3 practicioner) so between the two courses I'm sure we could develop something far in advance of anything that FAW can offer and would be more "up the street" of members here!

Tony, we give discount to MLTA and Scout Association, I'd be more than happy to discuss further for BCUK members.

Craig

Genty

Tenderfoot
We have been talking to a local Bushcraft school about providing a "Bushcraft appropriate" course in the near future. Our expertise is in remote First Aid, typically with climbers, kayakers and expeditioners....

I would be interested to hear from anyone who would like to input in this and let us know what you think would be appropriate or useful to include.

We pre-empted a need for specific focus on knife/blade wounds, burns and hand injuries. Additional to this would be environmental considerations, but the more you put in the longer the course would need to be...

You can get a flavour for how we run our courses here. Whist selling a few courses would be nice, forums are a two way thing and we are building up a resource of articles which we hope you will find interesting: Health & Safety, First Aid, Equipment and Books.

Thanks in advance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE