First aid question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
I've been plagued by cold sores at my job, although much of it I'm sure is stress or sudden weather change induced, but a while ago someone mentioned a herbal remedy called Echinacea. They are a one a day tablet and cost about £1.50 for a month supply. I don't know how they work, and I can't recommend them, so you would need to do your own research before choosing to take them. What I can say is that as a factual statement, I've not had one cold sore since I started on them:confused:

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Im lucky not to suffer them myself but shmbo often has quite severe cold sores.
The item she uses is made up by the owner of mystic moments in aberdour fife (green witch)and she swears by it.
I think its a blend of natural oils etc and probably avalable from her website,if you have any trouble getting hold of it pm me and we will send you some.
No connection with above shop etc.
Soloman.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
You could try Willow bark. Try chewing then rubbing the mush onto the sores, its slightly antiseptic besides the analgesic effects.

No good though if your allergic to aspirin products!!

Could also try, blackberry leaves. Just a thought more than anything written down anywhere. Does stop bleeding gums, and very drying.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Batrams encylopedia of herbal medicine mentions the following,

balm tea,melissa officinalis is active against the herpes simplex virus. Garlic leaves - ramsons, macerated in vodka for 7 days, 1-2 teaspoons in water, 3 times a day.

garlic, echinacea, aloe vera, yarrow, elderflowers, burdock, wild indigo and st johns wort are also anti viral and can be used..

colin....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Many of the essential oils help a great deal with this type of recurring sore.
Mix a little honey with tea tree oil, or rose, or myrrh or even lavender and use it as a balm.

Generally they erupt when someone is under the weather or stressed. Melissa is a wonderfully soothing tea, so is blackcurrant.

cheers,
Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As I’m sure you are aware, cold sores are caused by a virus in a similar way to veruccas and warts; in the case of cold sores it’s the herpes simplex virus. Viral infections are notoriously difficult to treat and can re-occur because they have not been completely eradicated.

Plants known to include antiviral properties include garlic, elder flower and elder berries, blackcurrant, and lemon balm (I’m sure there are more but I concentrate on ones I have). The latter is reported to be effective against the Herpes virus. An infusion mixed with honey will give both anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. The effectiveness of these types of treatment varies between people and I confess I’ve never had to test lemon balm on a cold sore.

Incidentally, the antiviral properties of blackcurrant and elder have been used to treat flu for hundreds of years – maybe we should start harvesting for the expected pandemic ;)

Cheers,

Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE