First Aid kit What's in yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
As the title says what's in your first aid kit. I have 2 types, the one in my car is quite comprehensive and goes with my job it includes some prescription only drugs, israeli bandages and a tourniquet. No I'm not an army medic but I work for a lifesaving organisation.
The smaller ones I carry in my rucksack/colossus and fits into a US decontam tub. It includes a bandage, plasters(assorted) savlon wipe, small scissors, painkillers, cotton wool, tweezers. This is obviously a personal kit as opposed to administering kit. I did have a gregsons waterproof pack a while ago but I took it out of my rucksack due to size and because the internal plastic had ceased to be the advertised waterproof. I've often thought of buying one of the lifesystems packs on sale in outdoor shops but never trusted them. Does anyone have any experience of the lifesystem ones? I do have a sam splint somewhere but in our course at work they taught us to improvise because of the areas we operate in so that's in my kit box at home.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Okay, this may seem wreckless - and don't take this post as "advice" - but my personal kit (not the one in the car) consist of my tweezers (from the toiletry bag), mypocket knife, two different widths of band-aid tape (cello-something I think it's called), and my small fishing grips/scissors. Medicine wise, I carry astma sprays, antihistamine tablets, and some strong zovir tablets to kill cold sores (herpes - yes, not such a nice term, but that's what it's called after all) in my eyes where I seem to get it every spring and whenever I'm out in snow for too long.

If I have to sew my skin, I have some ordinary thread and a sailmaker's needle. I have been cut in so many times (both by accidents and on purpose for operation purposes) that I mostly fear going blind/something happening to my eyes, , break my back or something internal (inflamed appendix, anaphylactic shock and so on), but most of the things I fear in that regard wouldn't be alleviated by even a big, big first aid kit.
I have even had to pull a tooth that was aching at one time. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I used a knife to cut down to loosen the tooth, then used the knife to work it loose a bit more by leveraging it, and then used a pair of pliers to pull it out. Rinsed with cold water and toothpaste to stop the bleeding.

When I get a cold sore not in my eye but on my lip or something, I use denatured alcohol to kill it.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I have only a very small kit. Half dozen plasters, one of those little SAK wallet things (tweezers/scissors/etc), antihistamine, foot powder, ibuprofin, anti bacterial wipes, and a trauma pressure bandage. I'm never away for long or far away so I don't see the sense in carrying much more. Most injuries I've had have been small, cuts on my hands, splinters, blisters on my feet, that kind of thing, so thats' what I'm prepared for, except of course for the pressure bandage which I keep incase I hurt myself more seriously with my knife.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
Assorted elastoplast
2x Sterile gauze
Triangular bandage
Tweezers
Alcowipes
Resuscitation mask/guard
Conforming bandage
Stitch cutter (sterile in foil)

Meds for personal/family only:
Childrens Nurofen sachet & spoon
Co-Codamol 30/500 tabs for pain
Voltarol 50mg
Antacid tablets
Loperamide

This is plenty for me and mine. My daughter is walking now so lots of scrapes and bangs. If it was just me, i'd be content with some gauze and gaffa tape!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lads, this topic has been done to death many, many, many, many times already, do we need yet another thread asking the same question? Not being a party pooper but this really has been talked about a lot.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Really, hadn't noticed, thought with the new category I'd throw something in the mix to start it off. Obviously offended you please partake of the other varied threads Tony has made available for others to partake or in fact not to partake in.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
my first aid kit is from the pound shop but has all i should ever need in the field ,if i ever needed a thicker bandage i would just strip my spare pair of socks lol

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well whatever was in my first aid kit, is still in it. I have several first aid kits. One in the car, one at work, one at home, and I have a motorcycle kit which is mostly what I take when I go camping because I mostly take the bike too. In parts of Europe it's the law that you have to carry one on a motorcycle. The only time I've had cause to grab it (touch wood) was about five years ago, on a twisty mountain road leading from Spain to France on the Mediterranean coast. It was a lovely warm dry day and, surprisingly on that road, I'd seen no other bikes at all for quite a few miles. Then around a blind bend there came towards me a guy on a 1400cc Suzuki street bike, girlfriend on the pillion seat, both of them wearing tee-shirt, jeans and flip-flops. They were going like hell and approaching another, much tighter bend which I'd just negotiated.

I thought "He's not going to make it round there".

He didn't. Fortunately he was on the side of the bend nearest the rock face, or he'd have gone over the edge and into the sea. Unfortunately he, his passenger and the bike all came to a fairly abrupt halt in a pile of rocks by the side of the road. I spun round, drove to the scene, stopped, and grabbed the first aid kit. By the time I got there it was clear that the girl was miraculously almost unscathed, but he was obviously a bit the worse for sliding a few yards along the road with a quarter of a ton of bike on top of his left leg, and then stopping very, very suddenly. Nevertheless, he was trying to get the bike back on its wheels, and as far as I could tell he was completely oblivious to the blood-soaked mass that used to be his jeans.

I tried for about five minutes to get him to stop messing about with the bike and let me clean and dress the wounds but he was having none of it. Eventually the girl took me aside and told me that's how he always was, and there was no point trying to do anything for him. The injuries were clearly not immediately life-threatening so I put the FAK back in my pack and left them to it.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Some plasters, plaster strip, blister pads, burn gel and some of that 'vet wrap' bandaging.

Couple of cleansing wipes, super glue and hand cleanser.

Think that's about all in a possibles pouch.

Have a bandana in back pocket for use too, sliver grippers on my person.

Should cover most wee mishaps, have a bigger one in the sac along with an Israeli bandage.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Depends what I'm doing, but if I'm spending a day woodcarving, I carry this kit. Less than £7, comes with an OK plastic box and big enough to cope with a fairly major woopsie.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
just had a quick glance in my first aid/brew kit (kit goes in my bag, kit comes out of my bag, it varies all the time, the only thing that's always in there is brew kit, so combining brew kit and first aid kit i really can't forget my first aid kit) and i found:
17 plasters in various sizes
2 sanitary towels (always ultra if you really must know)
a roll of electrical tape
2 compeed plasters
8 codeine sulphate
2 naproxen
2 immodium
tweezers
CPR shield (really really hope i never have to use this)

i also carry a ventolin inhaler but that's not really FAK it's just been in my pocket for as long as i can remember, it's very very rare that i have to use it (i've not had an asthma attack since primary school) but it's become a little like a security blanket, i don't like being without it.

if i need any bigger bandages then i can rip up some clothes.

i keep meaning to add some cling film as suggested to me by a member on here but haven't got round to it yet.

a mobile phone is the best bit of FAK for serious injuries in the area where i usually spend my time.

stuart

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
I carry a Lifesystem Mountain in my main rucksack, have no idea if its any good, its been in there years and never needed. i do renew plasters etc as if i do need it i would like the plasters to stick. I also have a small bag with some plasters, that i tend to throw from my little bag, pocket or whatever.

My three most used pieces of equipment are; Duck tape-used for covering blisters,sticking over cuts. Tea tree oil, great antiseptic and can be used neat on cuts,grazes etc. Lavender oil, used neat on burns it is excellent!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I have a few kits I take depending on where I'm going and with who, from small to large (as some here can testify to, one has blue flashing lights and sirens) but usually I go with a few plasters, A couple of dressings, latex gloves, some steriwipes, some medical tape and a couple of gauze swabs. These items will cover most small occurances that are likely to crop up. I also carry a much larger and fully stocked kit when I am out at a meet for example just in case something a little more serious happens. I carry Aspirin, Paracetamol, sun cream, burns kit, and usually some diocalms for those "loose" moments. But only the Aspirin and paracetamol are for giving to others. I also carry a suchur kit (courtesy of Doc) in case Warthog is coming (Just jokin Russ).

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I have a few kits I take depending on where I'm going and with who, from small to large (as some here can testify to, one has blue flashing lights and sirens) but usually I go with a few plasters, A couple of dressings, latex gloves, some steriwipes, some medical tape and a couple of gauze swabs. These items will cover most small occurances that are likely to crop up. I also carry a much larger and fully stocked kit when I am out at a meet for example just in case something a little more serious happens. I carry Aspirin, Paracetamol, sun cream, burns kit, and usually some diocalms for those "loose" moments. But only the Aspirin and paracetamol are for giving to others. I also carry a suchur kit (courtesy of Doc) in case Warthog is coming (Just jokin Russ).

:lmao:
The big kit can certainly cause a stir,does Russ get a concession for it?;)

(wasn't Johns' he needed, but St Andrews that day).

Time you were back in the field so we can learn something...

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I carry a Lifesystem Mountain in my main rucksack, have no idea if its any good, its been in there years and never needed. i do renew plasters etc as if i do need it i would like the plasters to stick. I also have a small bag with some plasters, that i tend to throw from my little bag, pocket or whatever.

My three most used pieces of equipment are; Duck tape-used for covering blisters,sticking over cuts. Tea tree oil, great antiseptic and can be used neat on cuts,grazes etc. Lavender oil, used neat on burns it is excellent!

Watch out for Lavender near epiletics,not good for them.

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
Watch out for Lavender near epiletics,not good for them.

You are of course right Barn Owl, there are several oils that can cause problems for epileptics. my oil first and foremost is for self administration, and should i ever offer it to someone else i would ask the question. i would also enquire about allergy's etc if i was to offer someone an Elastoplast, Paracetamol or whatever! however it was remiss of me not to point out potential problem. i suppose this highlights why people should carry their personal fac to suit their needs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE