FireSteel Review

Funditor

Mar 5, 2008
New England
Hey everyone,

I just posted my FireSteel review on WildernessWiki.org . If you've been thinking about picking one up, this article should help! Overall, it's an excellent product - I guess that explains why so many people carry one.

http://funditor.110mb.com/wiki/index.php/FireSteel_Review

Striking2-1.jpg

Regards,

Funditor

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Can I ask a favour? on your site you have some text in the <pre*> tags,
"If the FireSteel is brand new or hasn't been used in a while, a dark, protective patina develops which......"
however you've not formatted the actually text with in the tags, so the text box is one single line, and on my PC it's six times the width of the screen. any chance you can format the text (using returns) or remove the <pre*> tags

Funditor

Mar 5, 2008
New England
Tadpole, thanks so much for pointing that out! In the wiki software, any time you have a space at the beginning of a line it does that. That space snuck in as I copied the review from my other website. Anyway, it's fixed now :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Sorry about that. It's just that they're a PITA to copy. My server can't hotlink images so I'd have to reupload everything. I'm also not sure how to embed video in the forum....

Yeah it can be a right pain I know, if your images are going to stay static then you could just copy the text over drop the pic addresses in tabs... As for the vid you could just link to it for now.

[url]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1130341/firesteel_test/[/url]

Funditor

Mar 5, 2008
New England
Tony,

Couldn't tell you why, but images can't be hotlinked from my server. Worse, they will work for a while, and then suddenly stop. If you all prefer, I won't post links to new articles. If I get some that are text-only or only have a couple of images, I'll post them here.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
No problem mate, I'm not trying to give you a headache ;) I just thought it would be a good one to have right there for people to see.

In the future let me know and I'll host the pics on this server etc

Thanks for doing it, it's a good read and I like the format that you've used for the video, it's good to see different tinders' being used.

May 23, 2008
Slovenija
Hi!

I hope this is the right spot to post my question.
I going to try making fresteel by my self, and im asking for some tips about choosing the right material. I heard it needs to be high carbon stell, i think i heard somewhere files are a good source.
Can someone please help me whit some advices and share some experience?:D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The fire steel in the review is a Ferriconium rod type of thing.

The type of thing you want to make is indeed high carbon steel. I usually use old metal files which are very high carbon content and just right for the job.

You can grind off the teeth or leave them in if you want the texture to show through the forging.

After forging, I usually polish up the striking edge a bit on a linishing belt, re-heat to bright red or even orange and the quench in oil (or I prefer cold water).

Welcome to the forum by the way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE