Fire Steels. The Good, The bad.............

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Today I took possession of a delivery from Outdoorvalue.co.uk which included a BCB Ranger Firelighting flint and striker. Well, it's just a fire steel but one that is pretty useless.
I know it's a cheapy (although it's £3 dearer on E-Bay where I bought it)
but I would have hoped it would produce at least the odd spark!

Suffice to say it's pants.

That said, I paid £6 at Go Outdoors for one and it produces a huge amount of sparks on each strike and makes lighting a doddle.

Can anyone else recommend some other decent Fire Steels to add to the list?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Woodlore/RM fireflash.
Had one for years, never let me down, always produces a good amount of sparks.
Spot on that, I've had mine for 14 years, its gouged and battered now but still throws a hoard of sparks. I've got various other LMF and unbranded ones, not a patch on it.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I have a UST strikeforce rip off from china from ebay and it's really good. ~ £4 posted if I remember correctly.

Usually I use my RM one though like most people and that's an absolute beast. LMF are of course the next best option.

Never been too impressed by exotac, but I suppose their slim designs are good for backups. Their new poly striker with the striker included in the handle looks quite cool for an all in one jobby.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Couldn't make the exotac one work for me, too fiddly. Got a good antler one from Eric of this parish. Also a good LMF scout. Most recently got some dinky ranger ones that work well from shark designs. I do find they all require a bit of bedding in but they're all much of a muchness, it's the striker that makes the difference.

resnikov

I really like the Exotac striker. The XL one its better then the smaller one as its easier to hold the striking bit. Yes they are expensive compared to other ones but I think they look good and are very functional. I carry mine on a keyring with a sak and p3 lenser. If you do wear it out you can get replacement bits for it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
i find that after removing the coating that comes on them as new, they all work much of a muchness. ive had no problems with the blanks sold on firesteel.co.uk and ive also had no problems with the cheap chinese ones i got on ebay for £2.50. the biggest issue is indeed the striker and the powder coated hacksaw blade jobbies take a while to get effective. Based on what ive seen to date i wouldnt spend out on lightmyfire or other more expensive ones.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Are you sure the problem isn't the striker? As I have a bcb ferro rod and it works as well as any other I've tried over the years. In fact the only one I've ever had problems with was a relatively expensive one I bought from Yeomans. And to be honest even that one just required a slightly different striking technique as the rod seemed a little softer than the others.

Cheers

Mat

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Are you sure the problem isn't the striker? As I have a bcb ferro rod and it works as well as any other I've tried over the years. In fact the only one I've ever had problems with was a relatively expensive one I bought from Yeomans. And to be honest even that one just required a slightly different striking technique as the rod seemed a little softer than the others. Cheers Mat
I've used a couple of knives too. Whilst I can get the odd spark with a blade, it soesn't do my blade much good. Tried using the back of the blade which is quared off but that's no use. You live and learn.

rancid badger

Woodlore/RM fireflash.
Had one for years, never let me down, always produces a good amount of sparks.

Absolutely, totally agree. There are way too many "economy" steels out there, including some from bulk suppliers that are; putting it bluntly: shxxe!

I've no idea why it is that Woodlores "firelflash" is so good or how come no one else seems to sell the same item but I've used them since they first started selling them and they are excellent-never, ever fail.

If you don't want to add to Mr. Mears company's ever increasing pot of gold, then go for a "Light My Fire" Army steel, almost as good.

cheers

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE