Fire Starting Trick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Let's see if you know this trick. :wink: Maybe it's not so special, but an Indian with danish citizenship has taught it to another guy and then that guy wrote it on a forum. :wink:

You need a small axe or big knife. Get some dry birch or dry spruce sticks and chop them to pieces. VERY fine pieces... :shock: When you think you have enough, make ½ quantity more! Then scrape some hexitab, charcloth (don't break it) or Wetfire into the pile and ignite it with firesteel. When the tinder burns, add more and more wood. :D Now you will soon have a long-time burning pile of wood. :pack:

This may be an alternative to feathersticks, but it's always good to try out new things and get a skill more on ones mind. :biggthump

Your opinions please.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I always carry some dryer lint from the lint trap and catail fluff to catch a spark a set the tinder bundle a-lite, and I am an aboriginal; could this be an old indians trick? :eek:): :rolmao:

Moine

Forager
Viking,

Good tip :biggthump

This works well. I'm using esbit fuel tabs just the same way to ignite the stuff. I either scrape a little off so they can catch a spark, or more often I use finer stuff to ignite them (they won't light as is with a fire steel, so I pick a few dry grass blades, cotton, magnesium... whatever is at hand).

Thin wood shavings are a lot easier to produce than plumed sticks, and they work much better. You can make a big pile out of them and as they are all bent a little, they let a lot of air through, thus burn hot and fast. Perfect for starting a fire, especially in wet conditions.

What I do, usually, is to start with a knife to make thin ones, and I make them gradually thicker. Then I finish with the axe/big chopper to make larger, thicker ones.

TheViking said:
A real native american indian... :wink: I know his name also.

Hey, I'm also a "real native american indian" (whatever that is), and that does not automatically qualify me as being good at bushcraft, tracking, survival or whatever. It's not in the genes... unfortunately ;)

Cheers :D

David

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Moine said:
Hey, I'm also a "real native american indian" (whatever that is), and that does not automatically qualify me as being good at bushcraft, tracking, survival or whatever. It's not in the genes... unfortunately ;)
Sorry, but when I think of an Indian, I also think of bushcraft. :D This guy was a native indian and pretty good at survival skills, I think. That explains it. :biggthump

Cheers. :uu:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Great tip! Here's another although many of you may already have tried this. If you want to ignite fatwood with a firesteel, you can scrape it so that you get a pile of fine fatwood dust. This ignites pretty easily with a firesteel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE