fire starter birthday present

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol

It’s my niece’s christening this weekend, so I had to finish my BIL’s belated birthday present, being the father he will be there. I owe him a birthday present and so made him something I think is useful, he's just getting in to the bushcrafting side of living near a largest wood. He's really into the fire making and has just had a wood burner installed to take the pressure off of the oiled fired heating
The two leather pouches I made from off cuts from someone’s sofa reupholstering project , one was made using a pattern sent to me by Toddy, the other, which can be used as a everyday belt pouch I made up as I went a long. Both work really well, the steel was made by Mike Amiling. The tinder is wild Clematis, both the bark and the seedheads and silver birch all gathered by me. The flint was given to me by Will Lord. The char cloth was made at the moot, whilst I was waiting for the curried lamb to cook.
The Char tube was made with the help of my daughter and added after my wife’s insistence, that “if she can make a fire using just flint and steel and a char tube, then anyone can.

What do you think?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Thank you all for your kind words, it does mean a lot, to me at least to know that other people would appreciate this kind of gift, rather than just flipping the plastic in a retail heaven.
A very nicely put together set Tadpole.

I like that you have added the Char Tube to the set.

Cheers

George
There was char tube demo at the moot, and although I had tried it before, I’d never really given it much though to how simple and quick it was, both to make and to use.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Thank you all for your kind words, it does mean a lot, to me at least to know that other people would appreciate this kind of gift, rather than just flipping the plastic in a retail heaven.

There was char tube demo at the moot, and although I had tried it before, I’d never really given it much though to how simple and quick it was, both to make and to use.

That would have been Mark Oriel doing the demo's with my sets. I thought the orange dust cloth looked familiar.

Good to see another convert.

I got the idea from a post on BCUK where someone made a tutorial for making the tubes using copper pipes and wicks for lanterns. I only stumbled on using orange dust clothes when I ran out of wicks and started experimenting with different materials.

George

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
That would have been Mark Oriel doing the demo's with my sets. I thought the orange dust cloth looked familiar.

Good to see another convert.

I got the idea from a post on BCUK where someone made a tutorial for making the tubes using copper pipes and wicks for lanterns. I only stumbled on using orange dust clothes when I ran out of wicks and started experimenting with different materials.

George
I was given a copper one a couple of years ago by someone in this site, I used it with my ferro rod. when i converted to flint and steel I never thought it would work so never tried. It lay forgotten until after the moot. the duster was a present from my wife, well I think it was, she handed it to me on my day off and said "it's about time you did something with that" , so I did. works really well ;)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
the duster was a present from my wife, well I think it was, she handed it to me on my day off and said "it's about time you did something with that" , so I did. works really well ;)
:lmao: :lmao:

Nice kit by the way I like and I think my scouts con make some char tubes.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
:lmao: :lmao:

Nice kit by the way I like and I think my scouts con make some char tubes.
elder branch and the awl of a swiss army knife and a bit of copper wire to push the pith out, is all I used, oh and a duster. I made three in about five minutes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE