Fire piston's buy for members

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
0 string 5 rubber gasket left as of post #2​
Only available until the 18th July​

These are left over from the Full Member buy and are available for a week.

We have 6 fantastic fire pistons up for grabs, these retail for about £60 usually but this is the start of some group buys that we're organising for the full members.

The fire piston operates on the same principle as a diesel engine. When air molecules are rapidly compressed within the cylinder, the temperature of the air becomes hot enough to cause combustion.

We have two types -

A string gasket is the traditional method for achieving an air tight piston seal. This method is very effective, however the gasket does require occasional lubrication with Vaseline to maintain top performance. With extended use the gasket will eventually wear and need to be replaced. Its takes about five minutes to re-wrap a worn string gasket and restore original performance.

Rubber O rings are well known for their sealing ability and they perform very well in fire pistons. While not traditional, they are easier to replace than a string gasket and require less frequent lubrication. Because O rings seal more effectively than string gaskets it is not possible to fully insert the piston after use due to trapped air. Pistons with O ring seals tend to pop out of the cylinder a short distance.

Both work exceptionally well ( I know because i've used them and they're great :D )and have spare gaskets in the package - we have 1 string and 5 rubber ring on offer.

All fire pistons come with spare gasket & good quality char cloth for immediate use :D

Specs:
Material - Cocobolo
Width - 30mm
Length - 120mm

Cost is £43 each, which includes paypal fees and P&P (recorded delivery)

paypal address to send money to is shop@bushcraftuk.com make sure that your address is included and if you want string or rubber.

We'll keep track in this thread of how many are left, post in here if you've paid/are paying for one to help keep track of the numbers :D

Here's some pics:

Rubber gasket Fire Piston
firepistonring.jpg

firepistonring2.jpg

String gasket Fire Piston All string pistons sold
d44fa203c2dec4fc4279656f947c42cf.jpg

firepiston2.jpg

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Always nice to be early in a list!

Thanks for this. I've wanted to play with a fire-piston for ages.

Cheers,

Huon

BTW, Payment sent.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Noted that you say the O ring versions will ping out a bit due to trapped air in the chamber, Tony. That's a good sign, as you know you'll get great compression. The piston I have has a piece of string that you put into the chamber with the plunger, and this piece of string is enough to allow the air past the O ring and allow the plunger to sit fully home. Might be worth trying for anybody looking at getting the O ring version. Saying that, the O ring sealing the chamber will keep moisture out too, so it's a trade off!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I've been using one for a while now (O-ring) and it's become my preferred piston, very reliable, quick and easy to use. It only sticks out a little bit so you don't really notice :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE