fire piston

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

magpiewolf

Nov 10, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Well done! Once you've got the hang of it once, you'll soon be confidently creating embers nine times out of ten (and the tenth will be in public when everyone's watching!)

I find the most common problem with fire pistons is dirt in the barrel - it's a PITA checking and cleaning every time you use it but you'd be amazed how much soot you can clean out with a bit of cotton wool wrapped round a bamboo skewer for a cleaning rod. They work well if you remember to keep 'em clean and check the gasket for wear regularly so it's worthwhile, though.

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
I'm so pleased with myself you would of laughed at a 43 year old man dancing round a tiny fire ��

i tried every oil i could think of to lube the piston o ring only to find that Vaseline works the best and once I'd got an ember i managed to get 4 in a row.

I'm still grinning now����

magpiewolf

Nov 10, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I keep a stick of lip salve with the firepiston just to make sure I have the right lube with it. If you use the lipsalve directly on the piston/o ring then you'll soon get soot in the lube, it's better to use your finger to transfer the lube onto the piston (and it's good for your skin as well as being more accurate!)

Always so exhilerating to learn a new skill - enjoy your celebrations!

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I'm so pleased with myself you would of laughed at a 43 year old man dancing round a tiny fire ��

i tried every oil i could think of to lube the piston o ring only to find that Vaseline works the best and once I'd got an ember i managed to get 4 in a row.

I'm still grinning now����

bit of margarine, works every time. I use em quite a lot.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
I keep a stick of lip salve with the firepiston just to make sure I have the right lube with it. If you use the lipsalve directly on the piston/o ring then you'll soon get soot in the lube, it's better to use your finger to transfer the lube onto the piston (and it's good for your skin as well as being more accurate!)

Always so exhilerating to learn a new skill - enjoy your celebrations!
make sure you wash your hands before you go for a erm, you know, the toilet. Things might get a bit warm otherwise lol :)

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Actually, it might be vapour rub I'm thinking of. I did have some stuff once that was meant for your lips but was a bit like vapour rub, mint flavoured but give you an ice cold burning sensation if you forgot to wash hands and give your eye a rub, if you get the gist lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE