fire piston

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Do you manage to get an ember? If not it could be the piston not generating enough preasure, by the seal not working properly

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Ill admit I found them a bit annoying at first but practice makes perfect. The main thing is to make sure you dont get any lubricant/grease on the char cloth or whatever fuel as it doesn't light. Then just make sure the seal is good and give it a good push together and should glow for a short while. Then its just the skill of lighting tinder from an ember.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
has anyone managed to get fire with one or is it just me being feckless?
I have 2 - the first one I could never get to work.. turns out it was made from porous wood!

The way I proved it was to put the rod in the barrel to trap air in and then hold the whole thing under water and push the piston in - low and behold streams of tiny bubbles emerging from the wood grain on the end :rolleyes:

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
When I am using one I keep it in my pocket for a while before using it.

I find when it is kept warm that they work much better.

Might be to do with keeping the piston and the housing at the same temperature but I do find I am more successful in getting an ember if I do.

And as Georann said keep the lubricant off/away from the tinder.

Good luck

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE