Fire Piston Competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi All, we've got a great competition for you thanks to BOD and Galemys.

For your chance to win an original South East Asian aboriginal fire piston, which you have to admit is a fantastic and unique prize.

You need to answer these 4 questions :deal:

1.Name the original tinder that is used in an original South East Asian aboriginal fire piston?
2. Which well known inventor was shown an aboriginal fire piston by his university professor?
3. Which museum curator wrote an early 20th century article on the fire piston?
4. Name one of the woods is used by the Semelai for making fire pistons?

The answers can be found with a bit of searching and reading so everyone should be in with a good chance :D :beerchug:

You can send your entries to competition@bushcraftuk.com with the subject marked as fire piston competition. Entry will be closed from the 3rd June 2009 and the winner announced soon afterwards.

Good luck to you all:D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I confess to knowing absolutely nothing about fire pistons, but if plain old plagiarism is permitted it's got to be worth a bash :D

Nice one BOD and Tom :You_Rock_

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I think fire pistons are absolutely amzing and would love to own one and am getting the materials to make one at the moment - will definitely be entering thecompetition. Presumably there will be some kind of random draw immediately afer the closing date?

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
They are brilliant - mine has built-in gasket so no strings needed, made out of perspex- reliable/solid and waterproof.
I just use a small thin stick with cloth smeared in vaseline to clean the barrel now when it needs it.
In the unlikely event that I got the answers right - and win the piston, I'll ask Tony to put it up on auction and put the money to a charitable cause- to be chosen later.
firepiston.jpg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Congratulations to MartinK9, the fire piston is yours :red: :grouphug: I've dropped you an email and we'll soon have this off to you so you can make fire to your hearts content:D

The answers we were looking for are here below the questions

1.Name the original tinder that is used in an original South East Asian aboriginal fire piston?
2. Which well known inventor was shown an aboriginal fire piston by his university professor?
3. Which museum curator wrote an early 20th century article on the fire piston?
4. Name one of the woods is used by the Semelai for making fire pistons?

1. Caryota Mitis (Burmese Fish tailed palm) or aping palm
2. Rudolf Diesel
3. Henry Balfour
4. Berberas, Penaga (Ceylon Ironwood)

Thanks to all that entered, we'll have another one up soon ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE