Fire making in less than ideal conditions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rumi

Forager
Most of the fire making films and demonstrations I have seen have been in ideal conditions, calm, no rain etc.

The real test of skill is to be able to strike a fire by whatever means necessary in less than ideal conditions. Im talking about a spectrum of conditions from light rain to stormy, obviously responsibly too in windy conditions.

After and in heavy snow falls. In pitch darkness and I mean on an inky dark moonless night without a torch.

I was asked to make a short film for an educational project recently on fire making so I set a fire ready to go, set the camera up and then got called in to see the kids to bed. By the time I had set the camera up again it was dark, moonless and I could barely see my hand 6inches in front of me. Never one to let an oportunity go I started the camera and went straight into lighting my fire which you can see here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJsM96TlERQ

I used a firesteel struck using a knife with a teased and tied hemp match made from a piece of old hemp rope which I found on the towpath. The fire was set with garlic mustard stalks, dried common reed and willow twigs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE