fire lighting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Would 2 of them be "flint" and "steel"?

Well I would want a variety of methods to be sure something worked so:-

Flint
Steel
Ferro rod
matches
magnifying glass

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Tinder anyway. For a small pouch I would use tampons.

Next to that, still in the spirit of fire lighting, a small tube of vaseline/petroleum jelly to be used as a booster for tinder.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
I bring the wife if she fit in the box.She good at getting the wood stove fired up.Plus if the wife is with me no need a fire right.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
5 things?

Hmmm ... what's in my kit right now.

Steel
Flint
Tinder Fungus
Charclothe
Inner Bark of the Cedar tree - shredded

I guess that's 5 (or at least I ran out of fingers counting on one hand)

But I often have either tinder fungus or charclothe but not both - depending upon the situation. And sometimes I have a piece of birch bark or a short chunk of well-worn rope in there to help with the shredded Cedar bark.

I do have one of those ferro-cerrium and magnesium block fire starters around here somewhere, but I never carry it. I just use it for show-n-tell demos. And the magnifing lense is packed in with the ... other ... gear, and gets used more for splinter removal than fire starting.

So, for "tinder" I generally just carry that shredded inner bark of the Cedar tree.

Works for me. Other's mileage may vary.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
not hypothetical but in reality:

flint
steel (the best on the market that I've found)
charcloth
honeysuckle bark
cheap lighter

though I do often have king alf's cakes around too, I don't have any atm as the rats ate my stash :mad:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE