fire ,hessian match method

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
someone i know showed me a method of fire lighting the other day which is exellent, take some hessian sacking cut into squares about an inch to inch and a half long ,then taking one thread tease the end finely into a ball of fluff with the individual fibres so you have in effect a piece of hessian shaped like a normal match then strike the head of it with a fire steel and you have a match and away you go ,, hessian also dries out well too ,doesnt rattle , takes up less space , yes you could use a fire steel to light all sorts of stuff, but its another method to share which i`ll add i didnt until i spoke to him first :respekt: , cheers al

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
sandbags arent hessian anymore i dont think , onion sacks from green grocers are hessian , the large covers on road works are too, hessian is also got a oily covering which helps

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Builders merchants sell hessian by the roll,its used to protect new brickwork from frost damage. Knowing your capacity for wholesale,Peter,I think one roll will last you a while :eek:):

Sep 2, 2004
WALES
try going into your local bank and askin for some cloth money bags there great and if your lucky enough to get a royal blue on, even better they catch even quicker when you use a magnifying glass. wouldn't leave home without a piece in my kit now.

leon-1

ESpy said:
My immediate thought was "sandbags" - but does anyone know if they are treated with fire retardants?

Pete, sandbags (at least the military ones) are not treated with any form of fire retardent, I can vouch for this as I have met a guy who's Ghillie suit caught alight. Also due to this incident all snipers (if they smoke) are told not to smoke in your ghillie suit :nono: and that they should at the least take off the jacket :roll:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
That sounds very interesting, Al. I'm not sure I can visulalize quite what you mean though ... any chance of some piccies? Or perhaps you can explain it again (preferably in words of one syllable! :-D) for the extremelly slow like me? :eek:):

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
sorry kath ,no piccies, but what i mean is take a piece of hessian thread out of the weave so what you have is a piece of string basically ,about an inch to inch and a half long, and then tease the fibres apart on one end so its a bit like a cotton bud and then stike the steel over the top of the bud end and treat it as a match, i reckon it really is a clever idea,his technique is good too,doesnt need a full strike so the steel lasts longer also

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE