fire by friction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i managed it the other day for the first time, all by myself, handrill , what a wonderful feeling , please excuse my gloating :-D

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Thats great al well done. :-D

I did myself only last week for the first time and the feeling of achivement is great. It's like really magic.

I will keep practising it and using different woods so I do it anywhere but I am also giving the hand drill ago but this is tough.

James

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Fanbloomintastic better than me, I've never tried handdrill stuff, You'll have to show off at the meet up!!

Good stuff guys
:You_Rock_

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
cheers chaps, and good on you too james :-D , i used an elder hand drill and a willow hearth and to be honest found it more comfy than a bow drill which i still havnt had success with , but hopefuly thatll change soon as ive just made a new set, cheers al

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Me to, I can bow drill but I haven't tried the hand drill

Will have to some time.

Is anyone going to do a hand drill seasion at the meet up? :-?

Cheers

Mark

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yep my hand drill is Elder as well most bacause they can be nice a straight.

A few tips Anthonio gave me on the course last week was tobe sure the drill and hearth are really dry. Also he recommended practising for no more the 10mins a day if you do anymore you might be to do it again for a while but my hands are bit softer so I take as many breaks as possible.

he also showed us a technique of doing with a partner were as soon as you get to the bottom of the drill your partner takes over at the top. This means the speed and continuity(sp) is kept up and the it takes some of the pressure of you.

I woill not yet it a being using it as my main method of starting a fire as it's been a bit hit and miss I still prefer the bow drill method more reliable. (once you don't get a big head :wink: )

James

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i found that once it was smoking nicely to angle the drill slightly helped alot, i also found that the next day my chest and arms felt bigger and maybe my teeth have got smaller from gritting them :-D ,its a very nice way to light fire being crossed legged ,just got to keep it up now ,cheers

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I can bow drill too, but I've never been able to manage the bowdrill technique...Well done mate You are no longer a Padwan firestarter :-D

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
maddave said:
I can bow drill too, but I've never been able to manage the bowdrill technique...Well done mate You are no longer a Padwan firestarter :-D

Argh please I've only had 3 hours sleep don't confuse me even more :wink:

I've managed the bow drill now but not actually had a try at a hand drill, might have to make myself a set to try soon :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE