Fire Bow Help.. Please :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
I sucessfully managed to get a fire 3 times on the training course i did now its all gone bad and i can not get a thing.

I have tried a few different woods, keeping the drill the same as the hearth and no success...

My biggest problem seems to be that the wrong end of the spindle / drill seems to get the hottest.....

I am doing a little fire lighting demo with some local scout VERY soon :yikes: and it would be great if i could get this working (although i guess they will be more impressed with the potassium permanganate etc...)

Any tips greatly appreciated, I know some real good bow drillers here.... :You_Rock_

I have a load of Goat Willow (Cut from a standing dead tree) and some ash (cut from a live tree some weeks ago and stored in an airing cupboard to dry..)

On the course I had success with both goat Willow and Sycamore the latter seeming the easiest...

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
I seem to get smoke really quickly too.. I am not sure that this helps, the dust i get tends to be a little on the fibrous side as opposed to a nice fine powder....

Is this because i am being too heavy handed.... ???

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Here are a few tips:

- Have you recarved and reseated the spindle and hearth?
- Reduce friction at the bearing block
- Bed the spindle and hearth using gentle pressure
- Make sure that you have a good notch cut in the hole in the hearth
- Use only slightly more pressure when bowing
- Keep at it! :biggthump

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Gary, pm me your email address and I'll send you a Bow drill trouble shooting leaflet which will probably solve all your problems and as long as your technique is good get you going nicely. :biggthump

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi Gary,
Sounds like too much friction at the hand hold/bearing block for starters. I like a Yew hand hold, as the wood itself is waxy a stone with a dimple works better still. Alternatively try putting a holly leaf in the bearing block hole, or lubricating it with wax or grease. It seems to work best before it becomes too deep, so a new hole may help.
I'm not sure on the Ash ? its quite hard, and maybe even more difficult if its not seasoned properly.
I tend to use a spindle of standing deadwood hazel, on a Sycamore, Ivy or Willow baseboard. And have had regular sucess with all of em.

Hope that helps a bit
Good luck on the night
Rich

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Thanks all for your help,

After some searching around the web i found a sugesttion that a drawing pin in the top of the spindle (or hole in the bearing block) works wonders for reducing friction.

I inserted the pin and within 4 minutes had a brilliant ember... :eek:): I had no tinder around so it was wasted, but it looks like my technique is OK... I just need ot find a more natural atlternative to a drawing pin (although it would not be much effort to put a few in the old kit for emergencies...

As for the ASH, it was brilliant into a Willow hearth.... It produced a really fine black dust very quickly plenty of heat too... I think this could fast become my favorite mix..... ANd the ash was only 2 weeks old (I made the drill set and kept it in an airing cupboard for a few days to help it dry out...)

Thanks for all your replies :You_Rock_ , and Gary I wil PM you now as I would still appreciate the guide to bow drill you offered me.

This site really is excellent...

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
No worries mate - its the handout I give my students and will help you fine tune your technique ect ect :p

Sep 2, 2004
WALES
i tried spruce as a base plate and pirhana pine as a drill this worked well for me also pirhana pine is what broom stick handles are made out of down at your local d.i.y. store (save a few hours of shaping) also found that a bottle top works pretty well but you may need to place a rag over the top to stop burning your hand.also spit into the bottle top as this reduces friction.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Well done! Glad to hear you've got it!! :-D

(I've been trying on the bowdrill nearly everday since the BCUK meetup and still not there yet. Still I figure at least I'm building up my muscles and stamina by keeping on trying, and I'll get there in the end. I'm really looking forward to my Tom Hanks "Fire! I made Fire!" moment that you see people have when they get it :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE