Finished another knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Hope i have postet correctly, otherwise move the thread please ;)

As title says: I have just finished yet another knife. Now its time to show it off for a while.

This is it:
DSC_8155.jpg

Sorry about the miscolouring. I will have to polish it up again. Unluckely the leather gave off more acid than i'm used to during the sewing of the sheath.
DSC_8143.jpg

Being from Denmark, i like my stitches to be on the back all nicely hidden away, only for the true "knower" to ask for to look at. (or at least thats what i wan't to believe :D)
DSC_8145.jpg

DSC_8152.jpg

Oh yeah: wood unknown (sorry guys), birchbark and whatsitcalled.... the nut that looks slightly like a mammoths tooth?
Sheath is semi-tanned, and dyed darkbrown. Loop is divided at the base and pulled through 3 series of holes. Works like a charm, and makes any stitching on it unnessecary. I have never lost a knife with that kind of loop-attachment.

Sorry about the way the wood "flows". It had a defect wich i discovered a bit too late. However i do think i managed to salvage it to a decent level.

The past few pieces of the collection.
DSC_8130.jpg

Top is black horn and brass, blade is carbonenriched steel
2.nd is reindeerantler, blade was smithed cold, metal was pulled from an old dogsleigh.
DSC_8125.jpg

3 rd you know by know.
4th is the new one im working on. The blade is a bought one, from a danish chap called "Steen N". First time i use his blades, so i wonder how its going to perform.
DSC_8135.jpg

DSC_8119.jpg

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Thank you

balance is as good as any.
I tend to want my knifes to stay in place in my hand, even if i would open it. And they do.
(obviously not the black horn and reindeer antler one on the pics, as to the blades are simply too long and heavy.)

The one i have just finished rests nicely in your hand, and is a true beauty to work with, nomatter wich hand you chose to use, aswell as pushed or pulled.

Basically thats what i like to work with as primary goals, even when i differ every once in a while.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thats very nice... I too like the stitching on the back. I have a couple of knives with sheaths like that and I think it looks very good...

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Brusletto Style? :lmao: Now thats the first time i have heard that one ;)

I don't like brusletto. Period. But if you by bruslettostyle mean skandinavian style, then yes. That i do like :D

Thanks. Glad you people like it. I think i'm gooing to sell this one to my sister (as you know, you don't give a knife away). Nomatter who gets it, i just want the knife put into use, as it should be.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
fantastic knives! i'm particularly fond of the black horn one, but the handle shape on this one looks oh so comfortable!

i suppose that's what a scandinavian knife is supposed to look like then :D

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
fantastic knives! i'm particularly fond of the black horn one, but the handle shape on this one looks oh so comfortable!
It is. Unfortunately, what the pic luckily doesn't show, the last ½ a cm of the tip broke off. The neck was too hard. :rant:imagine my wrath when that happened :rolleyes:

i suppose that's what a scandinavian knife is supposed to look like then :D
Well. I hope so. Otherwise i'm doing something wrong :D

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Those are all really nice (especially that wirkkala ;) ).. your user there at the top is definately some kind of nut wood... If it wasn't so light colored, it would probably be walnut.

Very nice work you've done there:cool:

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Thanks for all the replies. I have been out these past few days, so haven't had time before now to reply.

Starting from top:
Those are all really nice (especially that wirkkala )
Yep. Spotted it quite right. Got a hold of one quite a few years ago, sadly it broke. Blade and sheath was salvaged, and a new handle soon to be made.
Unfortunately now, the blade is the one thats gone broke.

Nice work did you also make the wood carving tools in the photo or is that just me being silly.
Some of them yes. With dull smooth blades, to work on leather instead.
Most of them are only mods of existing tools. Nice to work with though,

Some very nice work there DKW, is there any chance of a look at the blade on the one with deer antler handle?
Will post one asap. Just gotta get my kit unpacked and looked after first.
Ain't much too look at though, but it holds a razorsharp edge better than most other knifes i have had or made.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE