Finally, Kuksa finished

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
So cool! If my spoon carving comes out ok maybe I will brave a kuksa!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
In Finland the kuksamakers boil them in saltwater, that takes the tension out of the wood. Otherwise the kuksa might crack when filled with hot liquid. And they are not supposed to be coated with anything.
And a kuksa shall never be washed or even rinsed after use.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
In Finland the kuksamakers boil them in saltwater, that takes the tension out of the wood. Otherwise the kuksa might crack when filled with hot liquid. And they are not supposed to be coated with anything.
And a kuksa shall never be washed or even rinsed after use.
I read about this saltwater boiling but didn't fancy tea or coffee tasting of salt for months after. I watched a YT video in which the guy wrapped his kuksa in paper, really tight like a mummy. Then put it in a shoe box, more paper into the box and then let it dry. I did that and apart from a few very small cracks it really worked!!!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The idea in the salt treatment is to get some salt into the wood, salt is hygroscopic so it keeps the wood moist and not cracking. There are other possibilities like keeping it in acetone or MEK for a few weeks. Or treating it with very strong acetic acid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE