Filleting and transporting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, I remove the mudline also (bloodline as as some call it) I use the same 12 pound test I use for other fish if fishing the Bay or from the shore on the Gulf. If out on the pier (it's over 1/4th mile long) or out in a boat in deeper water I use the same 20 pound test mono with a wire leader as for other fish. I try to use live bait (cigar minnows usually)

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You need to make a thread about your fishing! Technique, equipment, stuff like that.
Very interesting for the British fishing enthusiasts here on BCUK!

Thank you, did not know it was called a blood line or mud line!
I think it has something to do with supplying energy to the muscles? Not sure.

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
How light do you go with Mackerel, tackle-wise. I have seen people fly fishing for them (though not sure I remember seeing them catch anything after talking to them) and using very light gear for the sport of it.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have never seen snybody catch mscketel on a fly rod.
I do not think mackerel would take a fly?
Their msin foid is small fish, or if they are in a large psck, larger fish several macketel attsck and rip to pieced.
Three different ways we fish:
If I want them as bait ( 1/3 large or 1/2 small mackerel per hook, line has 75 hooks) for Halibut, then I use a braid 0.3mm, two silvery lures ( 15 grams, about 40 cm apart.
Medium Spinning reel, spinning rod.
This way if the mackerel is hunting small coalfish or herring, you see large areas looking like boiling cauldron. Coalfish or herring in the middle, being chased by mackerel outside. I need to keep the boat at least 10 meters away from the ’boiling cauldron’ and cast into it.

Second way, again as bail for bottom line, but mackerel more spread out, basically same equipment as for the big cod: short heavy rod, pirk ( Svensk pilk) 600 - 750 gram at the bottom, 4 - 6 silver spoons ( brand name Clark spoons, I buy them in Cayman or when in US) with a solidly attached single hook. For Mackerel medium C. spoons, for cod the biggest one.
Okuma Solterra level wind, 80 pound braid.
Jigging up and down.
Of course we take ‘eating fish’ from these catches too, but those fish we bleed and make sure they stay straight when Rigor Mortis sets in ( much easier to clean and fillet)

Fun fishing for food - not so productive:
Ultra light spinning rod and reel, 0.10 mono, silver spoon, 10 - 15 gr. Once we have the fish we need, I usually change the lure to another silvery spoon, but this one with barbless hooks.
Releasing those fish if not damaged.

When there is not so many mackerel around, then we use the heavy equipment, change the Svensk pilk to a 150 grams one, two rods at side of boat at the back, trolling speed about 5km per hour.

This only in extreme emergency ( desperate to eat mackerel that evening if no other good food at home) though, as I hate risking the propeller.
In 2016 I ruined a prop this way. Big $$ and p.i.t.a. to replace.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It sounds like ’butchery’ to fish for bait mackerel. It kind of is, but we need to fish up enough for maybe 4 bottom lines ( 4 x 75 hooks) in one go and freeze. Plus we also give to our friends, for their halibut fishing.
This we try to do on one or maximum two fishingd because the boat and us are coveted in blood. Hell to clean boat, us and the gear!

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never gone lighter than a "medium" action spinning rod with 10 or 12 pound test for Spanish Mackerel (heavier for King mackerel). I've also never done any saltwater fly fishing at all but it is popular here and yes, they do indeed catch mackerel. This guy pulled in a small King Mackerel on fly tackle

Judging from what I found on youtube it's popular in the UK also

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I fish for mackerel from the shore. Fairly heavy spinning rod,40lb braided line, link swivel,set of four metallic feathers and a three ounce pear lead. Cast as far as you can, allow to sink for a few seconds and retrieve sink and draw. As soon as you hook one,keep the line tight but don't start winding it in. Allow it to run back to the shoal and you should hopefully pick another few fish up on the other feathers. Fillet and fry in butter,(skin side down first to prevent them from curling up)with a little salt and pepper until golden brown then enjoy. Trust me, you won't be buying so called fresh mackerel again!!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I fish for mackerel from the shore. Fairly heavy spinning rod,40lb braided line, link swivel,set of four metallic feathers and a three ounce pear lead. Cast as far as you can, allow to sink for a few seconds and retrieve sink and draw. As soon as you hook one,keep the line tight but don't start winding it in. Allow it to run back to the shoal and you should hopefully pick another few fish up on the other feathers. Fillet and fry in butter,(skin side down first to prevent them from curling up)with a little salt and pepper until golden brown then enjoy. Trust me, you won't be buying so called fresh mackerel again!!
What species of mackerel do y'all have? Just curious.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would be put off eating UK mackerel simply by the number I fillet and find worms in :(

Have eaten them cooked many times though even if I have found worms in the guts
Yeah I love mackerel but I'm not too keen on having it raw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE