Fictional bushcraft books

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I recently read a really good couple of books called Brother wolf and Spirit walker by Michelle Paver . Ok they are written for children , but are a really good read . They are about the adventures of a boy who lives in a time when living off the land is the only way . They use birch bark containers and make their clothing and tools from what they can gather or catch . I really enjoyed these books and would like to read more fiction with a bushcraft theme . Any sugestions ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If you haven't read "The Education of Little Tree" by Forrest Carter I'd highly recommend it. Apparently there's some controversy about whether it's fiction or autobiographical, but it's the story of a young man's upbringing by Cherokee in the Appalachians around the time of the Depression. Very funny in some places, very sad in others.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Ive heard about a book called the The Last Meadow about a bloke who takes a bet wih his mates in the pub to see if he can live off the land for a year with only an air rifle a tent and a few vitals,bit of salt,sack of rice ect.Its supposed to be a true story and not fictional sorry but it sounds very interesting all the same.Dont know who wrote it,dont know when it was published but i think it was wrote in the 50s.Anyone else know anymore about it!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Jean M Auel is writing a series of books about a woman in the stone age era. It is supposed to be a six book series, but it has taken absolutely years for her to get to the fifth book, but this is understandable with the sheer volume of research she is doing.

I believe the first book is called Clan of the cave bear, and they are excellent books.

There's even a bit of nookie if you're into that sort of thing!!

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
spamel said:
Jean M Auel is writing a series of books about a woman in the stone age era. It is supposed to be a six book series, but it has taken absolutely years for her to get to the fifth book, but this is understandable with the sheer volume of research she is doing.

I was quite amazed at the detail of the techniques and plants etc., and also how well all that bushcraft type stuff was woven into the story. There's even quite detailed description of flintknapping, weapon cocstruction, container construction, and loads on edible, functional and medicinal plants.

Pappa

Pappa

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Two little savages is good but I think Seton's best book is Rolf in the woods.

Jean M Auel's series is excellent. Due to the amount of research that she has carried out she is considered something of a pre-historical expert now.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I believe the reason her last book was so late coming out was that she was looking after her mother who was very ill. I read it last year, but it had been so long since I read the other books, I'd sort of lost the plot. Therefore, I will be reading the whole lot again!!

BOD

:welcome:

I was quite amazed at the detail of the techniques and plants etc., and also how well all that bushcraft type stuff was woven into the story. There's even quite detailed description of flintknapping, weapon cocstruction, container construction, and loads on edible, functional and medicinal plants.

Pappa

Pappa

I'm reading it now.

The best bushcraft related novel I have ever read

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I recently read a really good couple of books called Brother wolf and Spirit walker by Michelle Paver . Ok they are written for children , but are a really good read . They are about the adventures of a boy who lives in a time when living off the land is the only way . They use birch bark containers and make their clothing and tools from what they can gather or catch . I really enjoyed these books and would like to read more fiction with a bushcraft theme . Any suggestions ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

Soul Eater is the next in the series and is out in paperback.

I agree by the way, good stories and a nice leisurely read. Great for kids of all ages...;)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
My Side of The Mountain, is a very good book as well.
Its about a young kid called Sam Gribley who runs away to live in the Catskill mountains.
He lives in a hollowed out tree, makes pots and jam, burch bark containers and all sorts of stuff.

Its aimed at kids and there was a film of the same name but I haven't seen the film, the books great and as its avalaible for a pound sixty plus postage its well worth the cash.

I read it whan I was a nipper and loved it then (before stuff like The SAS Survival Handbook was avaliable) and then re-read it a few months ago after I found it amongst some books in a box, I still enjoyed it as a 36 year old. Perhaps it was because I could still see it through nine year old eyes:)

Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
I try looking in Guttenburg.org. Lots of free books to download from there for free.

My Current read is "A Journey of Ramblings Through The High Sierras". Got it for free and, although not fiction, a good read anyway.

I'm sure that a trawl through that sight will produce some gems.

Alan.

forestwalker

She took some courses with Jim Riggs if the stories I have heard are correct. After the first book, which would explain why Ayla the Wonder Girl suddenly invents a lot of things. I like the setting, I like the bushcraft, but got to tired of the endless sequence of "Ayla has great sex with Jondalar -- Ayla saves the day -- Ayla invents something -- Ayla has great sex with Jondalar". Ayla is obviously StoneAge for "Mary Sue"...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE