Fibre Pile sleeping bags ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Yeah I know they were bulky back in the day, but fibre sleeping bags are tough and they work damp, but where are they, it seems fleece comes along and pile disappears, one cannot even find a good pile jacket now as pile shelled with pertex is excellent, far better than fleece.

But fibre pile sleeping bags are they still available anywhere ?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I had them back in the day too and loved them.
Mine were the Survival Aids ones with zips for the arms to come out while everything else was zipped up. They were great in the cold and wet and I can't understand why makers today haven't thought about that design feature.
I think Buffalo still make them, but while they have always been expensive, they are now breathtakingly so :(

Last edited:

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Yeah, mine was survival aids as well, great for in the tent. But Buffalo I like their stuff, but why so expensive, fibre pile use to be cheap and at one time a poor man's fleece.

I keep searching ebay for fibre pile, but it seems others are doing the same too and when the old HH bergsteigers come up, the bidding goes mental, way out of my price range.

But fibre pile so tough and useful in damp conditions, it seems we are governed by what popular brands want to make.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Hi mate ,

I remember looking at the super bag stuff back in the 80/90's (Survival Aids) and quite liking the concept.
Given my usage in those days (summer/winter Scottish climber not Military) I couldn't justify the weight, bulk and (not inconsiderable at the time) cost etc.

Given that "high speed" activities are no longer such a draw:rolleyes::( and that £ cost is not what it was, they are now probably not as dear as they once seemed.

They are however just as bulky and as heavy as they always were, as such there are probably many (just as costly) alternatives out there that pack smaller and weigh half as much.

All being said tho' I did manage to pick up a 4S Outer on here for a reasonable amount and can't wait to try it out in a nice damp and cold Scottish Winter.

Chris

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
I used to have a massive fibre pile bag as a liner to my expedition / polar weight down bag, believe it or not! I had all sorts of trial gear off Buffalo too, like pile and pertex tent booties - I liked those :D

Back in the late 80s that advert with the bloke smoking a pipe in his buffalo bag was ubiquitous.

Oh and HH field jackets too - my ex-wife still has my 20 year old one!!!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
My favourite sleeping bag and I can justify the weight because I good night is the most important in camping so my Buffalo bag is the first thing I pack.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Slept out in the rain many times while cycling through France ( 4 season inner and outer ) in them, including crossing the high Alps twice.
Never once cold, found they dried realy quickly when hung over a fence during lunch breaks or such.
.Chris.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to use Buffalo bags a lot (well all of the Buffalo kit!) and some photos of me testing the kit is still used in their advertising bumf!
I also used to make custom pile fibre sleeping bags for ... erm... LARGE ... Scout leaders in our County...
Great stuff, warm and cozy even when damp.
Buffalo still produce the best P&P gear around (Hamish invented the idea after all) and buying the best has always cost you in cash!

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
@ Southey
@ Chris

What one are you using and what temp have you used it down to? Weight and pack size would be useful but I can look those up, the places I've looked so far don't seem to given any idea of temp. Also Hammock or ground setup?

cheers

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi, just wondered if the wording ''used to'' suggests you now don't and i wondered if you consider alternatives to be better and why, thanks.
I foolishly sold the Buffalo bags and regret it!
I would happily go back to using them now that I do more sleeping out in the UK rather than doing loads in hot places around the world.
None of my current bags are as good in cold damp conditions ... good, but not as good as Buffalo bags in the wet!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I foolishly sold the Buffalo bags and regret it!
I would happily go back to using them now that I do more sleeping out in the UK rather than doing loads in hot places around the world.
None of my current bags are as good in cold damp conditions ... good, but not as good as Buffalo bags in the wet!

Thanks for your reply John Fenna, i just wondered what your opinion of them was as a user of them, i had the 4S outer and gave it to a friend but regret doing so now, i had actually never used the bag as the weight and bulk put me off and continued using my down bag instead, however i regret giving the bag away and quite fancy using one now, while my down bag is small and light i do tend to use it ''gently'' and i quite like the idea of not having to be so ''fussy'' with the care the buffalo bag, and i wouldn't have to add a bivvy bag to a buffalo bag reducing the weight differential a little, which is another plus for the buffalo, wish i'd used and tested my buffalo bag now before passing it on, thanks for your input.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE