Felt vs. Leather hats?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
Do you guys prefer felt or leather hats? I have a couple of western type wool felt hats. I find that they are too hot most of the time ( I live in Texas) and when it's cool enough to wear one, I want something covering my ears. In the summer, I wear a fabric hat with a wide brim and mesh sides to help keep me cool. I have never tried an Australian type leather hat. I would think they would be heavy, hot in the summer and cold in the winter. But, they must have some good points since a lot of people wear them.

Thanks,

David Enoch

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I like either actually... both have very specific qualities... It's very hard to mash a leather one up in your luggage and have it look ok when you take it out again. Likewise, leather stands up to abuse better while on your head or being left around camp without getting all frayed. You can get hybrid leather/mesh ones too.

http://www.africantradingco.com/leather-hats.html#302-fullgrain-breezy

I have a bit of everything but agree fully about the wool... very warm and it's nice to have something over your ears.

What I have yet to find is a fully waterproof wide brimmed hat that is insulated against the cold and has something to pull down and cover your ears. I wish someone would make one.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I have a widebrimmed leather hat that I wear over the summer which I don't find too hot 9and I run warm) tho when I'm at work I tend to wear a crushable cotton one as I often need to shove it in a pocket or whatever.
I agree with the felt hat comment, when it's cold enough to justify wearing it you don't get the ear protection you need.

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
I agree with the felt hat comment, when it's cold enough to justify wearing it you don't get the ear protection you need.

I have started putting a fleece headband around my felt hat like a hat band. Then, when I need ear protection I take it off the hat and wear it. It works ok except felt hats need to fit right and one that fits with the headband over your ears will be loose without it and vice-versa.

David Enoch

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
leather hat's can get quite hot in the summer. but then I find that with all hats. to be honest it's allright. my main problem is that my one isn't quite waterproof, so if it's raining hard my head gets wet, despite the hat.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I have an Australian felt hat that my Missie's bought me years ago (about 15yrs) it's stood up to all sorts. I've even treated it with waterproofing spray this year( Just for the Great British summer) and its still going strong.

Richard

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
So then ladies what hiking boots are out there for women due to me mum wants soome and well i dont have a clue in regards to whats out there could anyone point me and her in the right direction.
please note that they wont be used that often but when used will be pushed to the limits thanks drew

I prefer the felt ones , my felt one shrunk with one to many soakings so i bought a leather one and I just cant get along with at all horid on the head in the wet and to hot in the sun , so I have gone back to my small felt one bit tight but feels better than the leather

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I have started putting a fleece headband around my felt hat like a hat band. Then, when I need ear protection I take it off the hat and wear it. It works ok except felt hats need to fit right and one that fits with the headband over your ears will be loose without it and vice-versa.

David Enoch

I do something similar with a buff and a twead flat cap I prefer to wear over winter. Mind you, the guys at work get a good laugh out of it, but at least me ears are warm.:D

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I don't use either.
In summer I wear a cotton 'boonie hat' to keep the sun off the back of the neck and out of the eyes. And in winter I wear a woollen beanie hat.

African

Mar 12, 2007
Stevenage
Leather hat made out of Skippie skin. Worn on the beach in South Africa as well as on the training pitch in the pouring rain at London Irish!! Also widely used on camping and hiking trips all over the place too. Bit of leather proofing from time to time to keep it in good nick is all you need! Yes it does get a bit warm if you are working hard and no it doesn't keep your ears warm, still my favoutite hat though!!

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
I prefer the felt ones , my felt one shrunk with one to many soakings so i bought a leather one and I just cant get along with at all horid on the head in the wet and to hot in the sun , so I have gone back to my small felt one bit tight but feels better than the leather

I recently bought a hat stretcher for about $5. I have several hats that had shrunk over the years that are wearable again. It has worked on felt hats, cloth hats, etc.

I have been thinking about removing the leather band on the inside of one of my felt hats. I think it would be more comfortable without it. My only hesitation is that it is a really old hat. A guy at a local gun show sells old high quality felt hats styled to old classic shapes. He said mine was made in the 1920s.

David Enoch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE