Fellowship

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Ok thought I'd make a post to get us going. Looking at contacting our local scouting fellowship soon, anyone here have anything to do with this that can give me some more info?

Also should have a chance soon to go on a course Burgate (New Forest) its an assessment course run by the council that enables you to train Bronze (and silver depending on score) for DoE, and the best bit... its FREE, YAY :-D

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi Lithril,

Beat me too with the first post.

Can you explain a little about what you mean by fellowship. Is it an adult section like our rovers which are for members that can't be a full time leader but want to be involved or is it simply just joining the scout moved your asking about?

Here in Ireland as every the scouts are almost Identical as the rest of the world except some times different terminology is used.

James

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
From what I can gather from the website the website, the fellowship is non-uniformed people who help out in their spare time. Working shifts I don't have the time to get involved in any weekly club so for me it would be ideal.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Thats sounds alot like our Rovers.

There pretty new here and there are only a hand full of Units running them but basically they meet once a month or so and arrange activaties for them selves as well and arrange cover for leader that have to miss a week or need extra help at day or weekend events.

My Dad's one here had he really enjoys it after years of being the troops taxi and kit transporter he finally gets to do some of the activated himself with no obligation to be there full time.

As I said's there new here but well worth it. As is any activaty that gets you out doors. I'd Ask your local troop for details and talk to any current members as I find it better to talk to some in person that maybe in the same situation as yourself.

There might be a few guys here that will be members that will give more details. But the must be all off today. A bit quite

James

N

Nyogtha13

Try this link, It might be of use.

[/url]http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/support/fellow/intro.htm

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Cheers I have looked at that site and it definately got my interest sparked, was just after some accounts from people that have been involved.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
As I understand it, Fellowship act as a "Support Structure" for Scouts (and - I imagine - Guides has something simelar) at a district Level. They help out at big - such as District - camps, carry out fundraising activities and in the case of my district also help with the upkeep of our campsite/activity centre.

A lot of leaders who are no longer able to help with a troop (there is an upper age limit for uiniformed leaders) often go into fellowship, although I understand that in some districts there is a specific "Young Felowship" as well. Ther's nothing to stop Scouters also being members of fellowship, and if Fellowship members have the required certification they can run outdoor activities for Groups - or so I understand.

Lithil: there is an other alternative as well. As well as having unifomed leaders, groups can also have non-uniformed helpers as well. These are usually parents but not always; back in 2000 I started out as a helper. You might even consider becoming a warrented Leader (we need them!)...

I hope this is useful.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Cheers Womble for the info, ok I'm going to sound really stupid here (don't worry I'm used to that :lol: ), whats a warranted leader - been a while since I was in scouts.

My main problem is working shifts I'm not available on a weekly basis - usually 2 out of 3 weeks.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
It's just a term for a unifomed leader - we're issued with a warrant by one of the district High-ups, which is valid for 5(?) years After that we have to be re-interviewed and a fresh warrant issued.

Basically it's a piece of paper that states that "this person is a uniformed Scout leader" in a particular section (Beavers, Cubs, Scouts etc). It doesn't imply any level of competance though, simply that you've satisfied the District Comissioner that you're the right sort of person for the job. Training is another matter and can take some time - I still have loads to do - but it's on-the-job mostly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE