feed myself fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
You'll not get much more effecrtive than a small spinning rod and a basic fishing kit of some lures/spinners/hooks etc.

Look at what Lars Monson did in Nordalaken 365. He has a kit list on his site. As he was on foot for a lot of the time, he used very light fishing gear. Shimano exage travel rod etc and a handful of what I described. He lived for a year on a basic diet of wild caught fish -including feeding his dog with them! So it works.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Below is a simple drawing to explain the otter board setup if someone will make one.

oterfjol.jpg

The less flies one have the easier it is to use. 5-6 flies is manageable. One must be moving all the time to keep the line thight as not to loose the fish. The otter will fish over a fairly large area. This is what makes it effective.
Main line is about 20-25 meters long.

That said one should not underestimate the use of hand line when sea fishing from a boat. This is the prefered method at the sea up here (unless it is commersial fishing).
Even though the fish stock has declined since I was a kid I have never been without a catch when fishing with handline from a boat.

In fresh water I would rely on a gill net if I was fishing for food. I have more fishing trips with no catch than with a catch when using a rod.
A gill net however is very useful and very effective. And also illegal many places. Check the local laws.
Gill nets are sold in most sporting goods stores here.

Tor

I think when we talk about poisoning fish on an open Forum as this can be a bit iresponsible, particulalry as it's a UK focussed forum. I don't envisage anyone in the UK ever justifiably having the need to do it and if you genuingly do need that knowledge there's plenty survival/ethnography books out there that have it.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I became very interested in feeding myself by fishing after reading of a guy that used a folding kayak for 90 days in the Arctic Circle, living by fishing and melting ice for water (he took quite a lot of instant mashed spuds too!).

My logic is that with a Katadyn Desalinator and Endurance Series 'Pocket' Water Filter to safely drink the water on which I paddle, I could fish for food from it too! (And its not going to be anyplace with 'Arctic' in its title!).

I'd thought of Speedhooks, to do the job unattended, preferring not to use nets as I only want to take fish which I'll eat, it hadn't occurred to me that I may not actually catch the amount which I'd need or anticipated, this thread has made me think differently about equipment and techniques.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I became very interested in feeding myself by fishing after reading of a guy that used a folding kayak for 90 days in the Arctic Circle, living by fishing and melting ice for water (he took quite a lot of instant mashed spuds too!).

My logic is that with a Katadyn Desalinator and Endurance Series 'Pocket' Water Filter to safely drink the water on which I paddle, I could fish for food from it too! (And its not going to be anyplace with 'Arctic' in its title!).

I'd thought of Speedhooks, to do the job unattended, preferring not to use nets as I only want to take fish which I'll eat, it hadn't occurred to me that I may not actually catch the amount which I'd need or anticipated, this thread has made me think differently about equipment and techniques.

Just curious -- are you planning on doing all this in your alpacka raft? It seems to me that it could be a little tight for such a long term trip.... Where are you thinking of going?

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol
Rod and line is a very effective method. During World War 2, fishermen in France chose to fly fish to supplement their diet with fish, not because it was considered the most sporting, or the most fun, but because it was the most effective.

Below is a simple drawing to explain the otter board setup if someone will make one.

oterfjol.jpg

The less flies one have the easier it is to use. 5-6 flies is manageable. One must be moving all the time to keep the line thight as not to loose the fish. The otter will fish over a fairly large area. This is what makes it effective.
Main line is about 20-25 meters long.

That said one should not underestimate the use of hand line when sea fishing from a boat. This is the prefered method at the sea up here (unless it is commersial fishing).
Even though the fish stock has declined since I was a kid I have never been without a catch when fishing with handline from a boat.

In fresh water I would rely on a gill net if I was fishing for food. I have more fishing trips with no catch than with a catch when using a rod.
A gill net however is very useful and very effective. And also illegal many places. Check the local laws.
Gill nets are sold in most sporting goods stores here.

Tor

Very interesting Tor, especially the diagram, thanks. Understand the method a little better now. Seems very popular with the local Norwegian fishermen where we go in Romsdal and Oppdal. Personally, for sport, I stick to the fly and Mepps, but have been know to trawl a line when going back up to the top of the drift! I would certainly consider this method if I wanted to feed myself. Do you think the rig is something that could be constructed from materials to hand etc.?

If this is the UK trip that you mentioned ages ago...forget speedhooks bud. Not legal. And as for fishing in the UK to keep you going...I'd forget that too. Even the west coast of Scotland is in dire straits for sea fishing. In mackie season you may be ok but anything else....well you'd be better off foraging on the shore for shellfish.

I'm really curious about this trip of yours, you've kind of kept quiet on this since you first mentioned it, although not on the gear front. Don't mean to sound rude but I'd love to kow how you are getting on and see some pics of you actually in the sea with your packraft like you suggested it was going to be for.

As for the guy in the Arctic was it Paul Caffyn the Kiwi guy that you meant?

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Rod and line is a very effective method. During World War 2, fishermen in France chose to fly fish to supplement their diet with fish, not because it was considered the most sporting, or the most fun, but because it was the most effective.

I agree that a rod and reel is great if you can afford the time and calories to attend to it.

But in a survival situation -- or even in a situation where you had to rely on fishing as daily sustenance -- an unattended solution is preferable because you can spend the calories doing something else.

In every case of which I'm aware, cultures that relied on fishing for their primary protein employed some kind of unattended solution (trap, net, etc.)

The situation is not unlike like survival hunting -- great if that's all you can do, but trapping or snaring is a more efficient use of your precious calories. And at least in the case of survival and/or market hunting you can bring in hundreds of pound of meat with one kill. Hard to do that with most fishing.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA

Was the guy Jonathan Waterman?
http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Crossing-Journey-Through-Northwest/dp/0375404090

Time for a fresh packraft thread, whatcha up to there helixpteron? I've not tried fishing from my packraft yet. I was thinking of at least having a line off the back as I paddle along, pretty low effort but not exactly sure how to handle a catch from within tiny deflatable boat.
I seem to remember Huck Finn fishing in a sort of energy conserving manner.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
.....but not exactly sure how to handle a catch from within tiny deflatable boat.
A bucket between your legs so the catch comes straight over and into the bucket. If you set up a multiline system space them far enough apart that each line can be brought in one as a time.

Avoid strings of feathers, getting them back into an inflatable is just plain scary. Same goes for 3-way hooks on spinners and the likes. A single hook is easier to bring in.

A landing net might be worth a go as well.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Very interesting Tor, especially the diagram, thanks. Understand the method a little better now. Seems very popular with the local Norwegian fishermen where we go in Romsdal and Oppdal. Personally, for sport, I stick to the fly and Mepps, but have been know to trawl a line when going back up to the top of the drift! I would certainly consider this method if I wanted to feed myself. Do you think the rig is something that could be constructed from materials to hand etc.?

My own otter board is made of a spruce plank I found in the woodshed, 3 welding rods (line attachment). a 60 cm copper pipe (weight) and some nails (fastening the line attachment).
I have made a hinged board for convenient carrying, but this isn`t necessary.
I`m sure that many types of line can be used although I use modern clear fishing line.
If one have access to similar materials (any wood, heavy fence wire or similar, string/line and something to use as weight) a board could easily be constructed in no time.
Below is a comersially made board but mine is very similar. The only real difference is the weight at the boards bottom.
oterfjoel2.jpg

Tor

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Just curious -- are you planning on doing all this in your alpacka raft? It seems to me that it could be a little tight for such a long term trip.... Where are you thinking of going?

After the second post asking about Packrafting, and not wanting to hijack or divert this thread, I asked Pignut if I should reply in the 'Transport' section. Pignut kindly said to respond here.

Yes, I'm planning to do it in my Alpacka Raft, as my Denali Llama was built to my spec' for the purpose, it also has 'custom' design aspects which allow this specific Llama to haul and perform unlike others.

The Alpacka's are intended to handle heavy loads, this is one of the reasons I bought the two largest, load bearing models, the Llama being my personal Raft and the Dory/Explorer for when I'm carrying a passenger and all our respective gear. Both Rafts and paddles can easily be packed and carried aboard a Mokai.
happy0054.gif

The Rafts in the photo' are the two smaller models (Alpaca and Yukon Yak) they're carrying 66lbs each, plus crew, the raft in the other photo' has what looks like a 130 litre dry-bag and other gear on the bow.

bar11f.jpg

Photos by Rianna Riegelman and Jaroslaw Zygmunt Wieczorek.

pic2.jpg

Credit: Alpacka Scandinavia.

After seeing the fantastic photo's, and reading the bloggs on SOTP, I'm captivated with the beauty of Scotland, which is where I initially want to tour, what I won't be doing is fishing from my Raft, I have a dislike of sharp hooks attached to wriggling fish in close proximity to my hull!
happy0009.gif

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
my Denali Llama was built to my spec' for the purpose, it also has 'custom' design aspects which allow this specific Llama to haul and perform unlike others.

I'm curious about your raft's mods but won't press you for details. I guess I'm too much of a clutz to fish from my Alpacka, bucket or no. Could end up with the fish catching me.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I'm curious about your raft's mods but won't press you for details. I guess I'm too much of a clutz to fish from my Alpacka, bucket or no. Could end up with the fish catching me.

I'm going to reply to w00dsmoke's and your posts, its just that its O' dark, thirty here, and I've been having problems with the wireless link, so it'll be by tomorrow at the latest!

I've only ever posted a photo of my Dory/Explorer, and I first did that on SOTP to illustrate that it really can be carried using just the little finger.
happy0054.gif

I love light boats!
happy0034.gif

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Yes, I'm planning to do it in my Alpacka Raft, as my Denali Llama was built to my spec' for the purpose, it also has 'custom' design aspects which allow this specific Llama to haul and perform unlike others.

That's just AWESOME Helixpteron. I really can't wait to hear your report on the trip -- please take a million pictures. You've just about convinced me to take the Alpacka route myself.

I really envy you this adventure!

And thanks for clarifying that you're fishing from shore -- that's what threw me, it seemed like fishing from a loaded alpacka would be a little difficult.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
If this is the UK trip that you mentioned ages ago...forget speedhooks bud. Not legal. And as for fishing in the UK to keep you going...I'd forget that too. Even the west coast of Scotland is in dire straits for sea fishing. In mackie season you may be ok but anything else....well you'd be better off foraging on the shore for shellfish.

I'm really curious about this trip of yours, you've kind of kept quiet on this since you first mentioned it, although not on the gear front. Don't mean to sound rude but I'd love to kow how you are getting on and see some pics of you actually in the sea with your packraft like you suggested it was going to be for.

As for the guy in the Arctic was it Paul Caffyn the Kiwi guy that you meant?

Actually, I've not "kept quiet" on it at all, I've discussed it at length with another member and others, offline. My expectations as to what I should take with me have changed, due to reasons of suitability, durability, weight and cost.

Originally I wanted to take a Kifaru Tipi and Stove, Luxury Lite Cot and Sling Light chair, reason being that I have injuries which mean I'd need a tent I can stand upright and stay warm in, and a 'Cot' off the ground.

£/$ exchange rate ruled out the Kifaru gear and the designer of the L.L. Cot confirmed that it couldn't be made higher, also, I realized that the weight of my gear needed to be trimmed.

I'm making a small collapsible, and a smaller cylinder wood burning tent stove, both in stainless steel, with Ti-Goat titanium 'roll up' pipes (with dampers and spark arrestors) and have bought the lightest gear suitable for my intended use, such as a Katadyn Mini Filter to carry in place of my Katadyn Pocket Filter and a NeoAir pad and Multi-Mat Expedition XL mat in place of the 'Cot'.

The Sling Light chair's are now made by Crazy Creek, whom today confirmed the shipping charge to the UK for my order.

I've not been in the sea, low water temps and not having a dry suit being the main reason, plus the fact that I'm due to have long awaited surgery on my spine in May!:eek:

The article I read on the kayaker really inspired me, but it didn't name the paddler, it was more about the durability of the Feathercraft K1, coincidently, my larger Packraft, the Dory/Explorer, was built by Feathercraft under contract from Alpacka Raft.

If there's genuine interest, I'll put up detailed (inc weight and size) reviews with photo's of the gear list and Packrafts (and the ultralight tent stoves too). I'd intended to write a trip log and keep a photo and video journal of my trip, and to do a blogg on it.

I'd also intended to reply sooner, sorry for the delay, and thanks for the interest.

Additional thanks to Pignut for letting me reply in his thread!
happy0034.gif

Thanks for the reply, i'm finding this fascinating, I really am. Good luck on the spine surgery, I can appreciate that and the need for comfort having had a surgical steel harthill frame in my spine for a number of years now. :eek: A hammock is very comfy and well worth the small extra weight.

Have you thought about a bison teepee as an alternative?, they are pretty cheap and I love mine to bits, just buy the steel pole instead of the alu one supplied and it'll be fine.

As for the rafts in the sea...scary stuff. I've canoed, kayaked and paddled an inflatables in the sea and it's much easier in the first two than in the inflatable. With the pack rafts, forward speed will be minimal and the effect of wind will seriously compromise speed, not to mention tides. You'll have to run with the tides and plan your route accordingly. I once paddled a small inflatable raft not disimilar to a packraft around a very small part of the North West highlands, much of the route was rocky with big cliffs and it was scary stuff; I nearly overtuned several times in big waves and the downwind from the cliffs push you further out than I'd care to go not to mention the back wash of the cliffs. Not easy. I'm not saying it can't be done, it can but with an awful lot of planning and care. The good point is that's you'll get to places even the yachties can't go. So quiet beaches and rocky shore all to yourself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE