Favourite Vegan and Vegetarian dish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I just joked.
But no bees are harmed? Is it that they live in a manmade hive and not in a natural tree trunk that is the problem?

But fruit are growing because of a hard working bee that pollinated the apple flower?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I am indebted to the wild bees, the bumblebee in particular. They are consummate pollinators of my grapes.
I read now that this is one of their global jobs. I would not dream of robbing them of pollen or honey for any reason.
I usually have one or two bumblebee nests under my garden shed. So be it. Just watch your step going in or out.

Funny = the commercial honey bees are lazy SOB's and won't go near the grape vines.
The bumblebees are absolutely frantic to watch as they spiral around the grape flower clusters.
Even so, there's a tribe of Chickadee birds that work the house vines from south to north every morning for bugs,
they never bother the bees. Then they do the fence rows. Perfect, organic bug killers since 2001.
I like to be in the kitchen to watch my whole back yard working together.

The honey bee of commerce was bred to be robbed of excess production, both honey and wax.
Chickens and pigs, etc., are fed enough to be robbed of excess production of the whole population.

Just watch. No bees? 70% of the worlds crops will fail. Wanna try it? Chateau Cheval Blanc with no bees?
Some wind pollinated cereal crops, the grains, will survive.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I only buy honey coming from Scandinavia, here or UK, my latest fav is Waitrose Scottish Heather honey.
Lots of US honey is faked ( some say up to 75%!) and I do not trust countries like China with food.

The local honey is tasting like the honey produced in forests ( mixed Boreal) in Germany, Austria and Czech Rep.
Dark, resiney.
the bees are smaller than the ones in UK or Scandinavia.
And the sting hurts like h$ll, much worse than our local scorpions.

A friend gifts me a jar a couple of times a year. He ages them for a couple of years, they get a wonderful, mellow, deep flavor.

They say honey has health benefits. I say - I do not care, as long as it is delicious!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I only buy honey coming from Scandinavia, here or UK, my latest fav is Waitrose Scottish Heather honey.
Lots of US honey is faked ( some say up to 75%!) and I do not trust countries like China with food.......
"Faked" isn't quite accurate, but your concerns (at least with commercial honey) are definitely valid www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey

Personally I only buy locally produced honey no matter where I am. Preferably from family or personal friends.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The process costs money. Why not just remove the big bits (wax and remains of bees) and package it?
Some health people say it is the pollen that is beneficial to us.
Watering down too. And I guess heating up? Heating destroys the beneficial enzymes.

I did buy US honey but stopped after I read that info.
God article, btw.

Honey is Vegetarian then?

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
But it is refreshing mussels, clams and oysters are ok.

Eh? who told you that ?
Vegans don't eat fish, of any variety. They even avoid the foods that are made with their shells and cartilage...like the stuff meant to help heal knackered joints. There's a shellfish free variety available instead of the chondroitin.

Most vegetarians won't eat fish or shellfish either, it's not just vegans.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The process costs money. Why not just remove the big bits (wax and remains of bees) and package it?
Some health people say it is the pollen that is beneficial to us.
Watering down too. And I guess heating up? Heating destroys the beneficial enzymes.

I did buy US honey but stopped after I read that info.
God article, btw.

Honey is Vegetarian then?

Honey is considered vegetarian by most, but not all.

I eat it, my sons eat it, but we get local heather honey, or from friends who keep bees.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Eh? who told you that ?
Vegans don't eat fish, of any variety. They even avoid the foods that are made with their shells and cartilage...like the stuff meant to help heal knackered joints. There's a shellfish free variety available instead of the chondroitin.

Most vegetarians won't eat fish or shellfish either, it's not just vegans.

M
See smile face in post below. It was a joke, referring to the 'sentient' discussion!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No, I just did not know what that dish was. Despite living in UK for a decade, some of the Finer British Cuisine escaped my lips......:)

Never had Cocles. The Jewish-British Jellied Eels yes.
Plenty of Fish & Chips.

All sustainably harvested and humanely killed!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
AAAhhh, Jamaican Patties......
Hugely popular here!

Beef or Chicken or Veggie , matters not!
I prefer Veggie, then beef, then chicken.

The veggie ones are more nicely spiced.
When we fly, I always have one Pattie and a Red Stripe ( Jamaican beer) at the airport, after security.
Matters not which time of day it is.
Extra tasty at 7 in the morning!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
AAAhhh, Jamaican Patties......
Hugely popular here!

Beef or Chicken or Veggie , matters not!
I prefer Veggie, then beef, then chicken.

The veggie ones are more nicely spiced.
When we fly, I always have one Pattie and a Red Stripe ( Jamaican beer) at the airport, after security.
Matters not which time of day it is.
Extra tasty at 7 in the morning!
I would get mine from a local baker, they were really nicely done, well spiced and best of all fat with filling!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
We have a couple of artisanal small places where they make them, plus we can buy them deep frozen 'Made in Jamaica'. both ready made, just heat in the oven, or ready for a fryer.
I do not own a fryer.
Both good, but the pastry is crunchier on the locally made ones.
Same tasty filling.

Jamaican curry spice mix rocks, nicer than the 'real' Indian made ones. More mellow.

We are very, very European, but have grown a huge taste for Caribbean food.

If the Gods punish me and I have to move back to Europe, I would have a problem with the food and spices.

Reactions: santaman2000

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Beans and onions for me. Lightly fry chopped onions then add a tin of baked beans to pan and simmer. Add bread and butter and away you go.
Great meal when camping out too. Caution: may cause wind.
Riven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE