Favourite Books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Fav movies thread was fun :D and wouldnt be too long before there was a fav book thread so i thought i would jump on bandwagon and start it :p
What are yours ?Mine are :-

All Andy McNabs
soldier five
ray mears bushcraft survival
john lofty SAS survival handbook
fighting scared
the oen that got away

all i can think of atm:rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
All the Flashman books - in fact anything by George McDonald Fraser!

Heritage Walks in Pembrokeshire
Discovery Walks in Carmarthenshire
Discovering Pembrokeshire by Bicycle
Longer Walks in Pembrokeshire
A Basic Guide to Making your own outdoor Activity Clothing
A Basic Guide to Making your own outdoor Activity Equipment
A Basic Guide to Making your own Fleece and Pile Fibre clothing
A Basic Guide to Making your own Open Canoe Accessories
:ban:
John

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
12 angry men (the version where the 12 men are negros fighting back with shotgun's againt the klan people in the dep south)
the biography of rabbi Hugo gryn
the smell of humans (ernesto czep?)
journey into poland (forgot the writers name)
storm of steel (ernst junger)
under fire (henri barbusse)

despite my sceptism as regards european political developement most of these are european author's :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Far, far too many too mention but heres a few

Non-Fiction

The New Complete Guide to Self Sufficiency (John Seymour)

Even if you aren't into self sufficiency, every Bushcrafter will love this for a bit of "I wish I lived like that" moments

and , if you haven't read it, the

Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden.

If you are, were of wish you still were, a boy, this teaches everything from making the perfect paper plane to building a tree house - it should come with "lashings and lashings of ginger beer". Only published last year but takes you back to the youth you wish you had!

Fiction - Survival

There Falls No Shadow David Crossley

A piece of apocalyptic fiction based around Scotland with Scots and English characters written by an ex soldier who has seen the reality of society falling apart first hand. Very topical. Dark and gritty but a good read if you like something a little less mainstream than Andy McNab or Chris Ryan

You can get it from Amazon but its cheaper from the author (tell him Red sent you and he'll probably give you a signed copy)

www.tfns.co.uk

Fiction - Historical

The Forest - Edward Rutherfurd

A fantastic novel by the same author as "Sarum" (also recommended). A great historical romp through the new forest from the Norman invasion to the second world war. One of the few historical authors who make history fun!

The "Alfred the Great" series from Bernard Cornwell

Start with...The Last Kingdom

A boy growing up is captured by the Danes after his Saxon father falls in battle - love, life, loyalty and lots of sword play. real "boys own" stuff from the author of the "Sharpe" novels

Fiction - Fantasy

"Crystal Singer" by Anne MacCaffrey
A weird world, lots of adventures, storms, spaceships and music...great stuff!

Loads more of course - moving soon and have several thousand books to sort :eek:

Red

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Far, far too many too mention but heres a few

Non-Fiction

The New Complete Guide to Self Sufficiency (John Seymour)

Even if you aren't into self sufficiency, every Bushcrafter will love this for a bit of "I wish I lived like that" moments

and , if you haven't read it, the

Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden.

If you are, were of wish you still were, a boy, this teaches everything from making the perfect paper plane to building a tree house - it should come with "lashings and lashings of ginger beer". Only published last year but takes you back to the youth you wish you had!

Fiction - Survival

There Falls No Shadow David Crossley

A piece of apocalyptic fiction based around Scotland with Scots and English characters written by an ex soldier who has seen the reality of society falling apart first hand. Very topical. Dark and gritty but a good read if you like something a little less mainstream than Andy McNab or Chris Ryan

You can get it from Amazon but its cheaper from the author (tell him Red sent you and he'll probably give you a signed copy)

www.tfns.co.uk

Fiction - Historical

The Forest - Edward Rutherfurd

A fantastic novel by the same author as "Sarum" (also recommended). A great historical romp through the new forest from the Norman invasion to the second world war. One of the few historical authors who make history fun!

The "Alfred the Great" series from Bernard Cornwell

Start with...The Last Kingdom

A boy growing up is captured by the Danes after his Saxon father falls in battle - love, life, loyalty and lots of sword play. real "boys own" stuff from the author of the "Sharpe" novels

Fiction - Fantasy

"Crystal Singer" by Anne MacCaffrey
A weird world, lots of adventures, storms, spaceships and music...great stuff!

Loads more of course - moving soon and have several thousand books to sort :eek:

Red

Those first two are mine too, that Seymour book is always out. Sarum was easier than it looks as it reads well.

Sigurd Olfsen is a great read, but 'Three against the wilderness' by Eric collier still ranks amongst my favourites.

Tom Jones 'The Tracker' was a great read, but I found 'Way of the scout' awful.

One book I have read several times - not Bushcraft but 'The Magic Army' by Leslie Thomas.

Favourite book? I have about 1000 on my shelves that I want to read again........

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Chickenhawk - Robert Mason
Chris Ryan novels / The one that got away
Tornado down - John Nichol - plus his other books
B20 / Immediate action - Andy McNab (whether fiction or fact for much of them - well that's debatable, but they're a good read anyway as are some of his novels)
Eye of the storm - Peter Ratcliffe
Tom Clancy novels
Dan Brown novels - esp. the Da Vinci Code
Dale brown novels
Robert Ludlum novels

Loads of other books around here - good novels, non-fiction, etc. Plenty to keep me busy when I've got time to spare!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Flammarions `Urania` and `Lumen` (also his astronomy for women is very romantic)

Hard to describe these books, metaphysical romances possibly)

Carl Sagans `Cosmos` (get the DVD of the TV series too if you can)

Fontenelles `our own and other worlds`

And in fiction

Tolkiens `The Silmarrilion`
Cervantes `Don Quixote`
Thomas Mores `Utopia`

Great thread, looks like my books to buy list is gonna get even longer. Having thought about this i shall only recommend one and that is (drum roll please)...

Nature is your guide by Harold Gatty :beerchug:

This is a very special book and anyone who is interested in Bushcraft, tracking, navigation etc should read this book cover to cover at least twice, I managed to get a copy of his first book 'The Raft Book' but yet to read it but i suspect that it will be special as well.

I also love The Hobbit by Tolkien
and Fly Fishing by J.R.Hartley

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hello
Here is a few Bushcraft related books i favour
Bushcraft / Richard Graves
No need to die / Eddie Mcgee
Camp-lore and Woodcraft / Daniel Beard
Woodcraft and Indian lore / Ernest Thompson seton
Woodcraft / Nessmuk
Essential Bushcraft / Ray Mears

A few favourite non bushcraft books
Wing Leader / J. E. Johnson
The first and the last / Adolf Galland
Gunther Rall - a memoir / Jill Amadio
First Light / Geoffrey Wellum

At the moment i am reading an old , really old fiction book dated 1860 called The young Voyageurs by a Capt Reid Mayne it is a bit of a boys own book , but it is enjoyable .

Regards
Darren
P.S I am somewhat ashamed but i have Bear Grylls - Born survivor in my collection of books but i hasten to add i never bought it ......it was a present ..my conscience is clear.

Nichola

Jul 17, 2007
What a great thread! I have shelves and shelves of books but it looks like i'm going to have to buy a few more.

I'm afraid that i too have a Bear Grylls book (again, bought for me as a pressie).

Favourite bushcraft books:
All of the Tom Brown books (but especially 'the tracker').
Ray Mears, Outdoor survival handbook
John Wiseman, SAS survival guide

Non-bushcraft books:
All of Terry Pratchett's books. I just read them over, and over, and over......
Dan Brown, Da Vinci Code. (Didn't really like the others).
Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha.
Inazo Nitobe, Bushido (the unwritten code governing the lives and conduct of the samurai)

and my secret favourite which i still read when no-one's looking.. (the secret garden)!!!

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
I too have the bear grylls book :) its actually pretty good but doesnt tell any new info, just with most bushcraft books there all the same

also jeet kun do by bruce lee is a good read i must have read it about 10 times :rolleyes:
Stirlings Men - getting really good about 100 pages in
Sir Ranuplh Fienne's - I think i have all his books his autobiography is especially good (I objected to hollywoods dam in this beatiful village - so i blew it up) haha:lmao:
SAS endurance;)

Proudfoot

Jun 28, 2007
Under the stars. . .
Dune
Dune Messiah
Chldren of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

all by Frank Herbert, IMO the greatest books ever written, immense in scope, superb characterization. It's a shame Mr Herbert died before he had a chance to finish the 7th book.

There are prequels written by his son Brian and Kevin James Anderson, but having started the first of them I just couldn't finish it, absolute c**p.

Vic aka Falco

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I must admit to having a weakness for books. I scour charity shop's and second hand book shop's and you'll lose me for a day at car boot sales. My tastes are wide and varied, basically anything that takes my fancy, but i will list a couple of my favourites, just as an example.

The Devils Guard - George Robert Elford. This is a 'true' story about Waffen SS soldiers fighting for the French Foreign Legion in Indochina after escaping the allies. A absolutely rivetting book that i go back to time after time, or, at least i would do. I lent it to someone and nevr got it back. Keeping my eye out for a copy now.

The Good Life, up the Yukon Without a Paddle - Dorian Amos. Excellent book, well written (as is the sequel). A couple living in the South West of England decided to quit the rat race for an life in the Wilds of Canada. The second book is just as good with a third due out this year.

Anything by Robert Rankin. if Terry Pratchett interests you, you may be interested in this guy. He's a visionary. Well, actually he's a peripheral visionary (he see's the future, just off to the side!:D) Ideal for anyone who does not like to take life too seriously. Such titles as 'The Fandom of the Operator', 'Web Site Story', 'Nostradamus Ate My Hamster' and 'Knee's up Mother Earth' should give you an Idea.

Cold Zero - Christopher Whitcomb. This fella joined the FBI and became a sniper in the FBI Hostage Rescue Team. It's not as 'Gung Ho' as it sounds. It's well written by a thoughtful, intelligent individual and is well worth a look, even if only for his unique experience of Waco and Ruby Ridge.

Native North America - Larry J Zimmerman. A wide ranging examination of the Spiritual traditions of the Native peoples of North America. Very readable and informative. Fascinating!

First Into Action - Duncan Falconer. An account of one mans life in the SBS. Dispels some of the Myths of the British Special Forces community and pulls no punches. a proud and humble man, Duncan Falconer is a bloke i'd like to have a chat with over a few beer's!

Soldier in Buckskin - Ray Hogan. A biogrphical novel about the life of Kit carson. Frontiersman, mountain man, fur trapper. His adventures with Jim Bridger etc. Maybe a little artistic license, but a good read non the less.

Nothing Remains But To Fight - Ian Knight. This book is about the defence of Rorke's Drift, 1879. Good read, brilliantly illustrated, in my view better than 'Brave Men's Blood' another of his books. I'm not really into the subject matter in a big way but i found this to be an informative and insightful book that complements the film 'Zulu' in as much as it really does fill in the gaps and back up the story. I particularly like the fact that Colour Sergeant Bourne eventually became a Lieutenant-Colonel, served in WW2 and, as the last surviving member of the Rorke's Drift garrison, only died in 1945. (Easy, Lad)

I can also recommend anything by Terence Strong (apart from Deadwater Deep, not his best), Bill Bryson, Wilbur Smith and a little known bloke by the name of Ray Mears. Predictable i know, but he has such an easy way about him.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Non-Fiction:
Nessmuk's book
Lofty's book
Congo Journey - Redmon O'Hanlon
Through Jaguar Eyes - Benedict Allen
Danziger's Travels - Nick Danziger
Earth From the Air - Yann Arthus-Bertrand
Through the Lens - Leah Bendavid-Val

Fiction:
True History of the Kelly Gang - Peter Carey
The Song of Hiawatha - Longfellow
Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Tolkien
5 Go to Smuggler's Rock - Enid Blyton
Espedair Street - Ian Banks
Player of Games - Ian M. Banks (and his others)

Half and Half:
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig (PLEASE READ THIS BOOK)

thackstonii

Jan 16, 2007
Cambridge
Great post and really got me thinking...was suprised to see some of my favorite books/authors in there - especially Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffery...

My favorites

The Quite Soldier by Adam Ballinger - the book I hold responsible for some very wet weekends with the TA.
The Brown Dog series by Jim Harrison ( Brown Dog, Twelve Ounce Man, and the names of the others I forget) hallarious take on life in the Upper Pennisula, Michigan
Player of Games - Iain Banks - Mawhrin Skel - what a character
The Dosadi Experiement/ Dune - Frank Herbert
Dragonsinger - Anne McCaffery
The Joe Leaphorn Mysteries - Tony Hillerman, some good forensic tracking story lines.
My Side of the Mountain
Lord Of the Rings JRRT - if your going for a long walk you need a Sam Gamgee

MT

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
As old as it is I find myself always going back to the Collins Gem SAS Survival Guide. (If only for the food section) This book was a boon when I first started to get serious about bushcraft. It helped me identify many plants and trees around the British countryside and its probably (more than once) stopped me from eating the wrong things as a kid. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE