Favourite bit of kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I bought a Petzl Myo XP on the Magickelly group buy last year and it really IS the dogs, no two ways about it.

It has replaced my LED converted maglite as favourite torch and is probably my favourite bit of kit next to my Mara (and Magickelly Hammock). :lmao:

Its the only torch I have used for the past 3 months, including half a dozen nights camping and a few late evening jaunts... and its STILL got half its battery power left :eek:

I use it mainly on the minimum setting round the camp, but last weekend it was on for 8 hours straight, I cooked with it on full beam, and STILL annoyed people with the boost beam :D

I appreciate that £50 RRP is steep but the £35(ish) I paid for it was an absolute bargain!!

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Zodiak said:
I bought a Petzl Myo XP on the Magickelly group buy last year and it really IS the dogs, no two ways about it.

It has replaced my LED converted maglite as favourite torch and is probably my favourite bit of kit next to my Mara (and Magickelly Hammock). :lmao:

Its the only torch I have used for the past 3 months, including half a dozen nights camping and a few late evening jaunts... and its STILL got half its battery power left :eek:

I use it mainly on the minimum setting round the camp, but last weekend it was on for 8 hours straight, I cooked with it on full beam, and STILL annoyed people with the boost beam :D

I appreciate that £50 RRP is steep but the £35(ish) I paid for it was an absolute bargain!!

Hi Zodiak,

I don't have the same model but definately agree that a headtorch is invaluble on a camp.

Matt.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I have a Petzl Tikka Plus. The lamp tilts, so I can point the beam at the ground when I'm with others so that I can still see what I'm doing but I have to tip my head way back to shine it in the eyes of others.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Scouts have an annoying habit of shining their torches straight in your face no matter what you say to them, with this little baby on boost they soon get the idea why I don't like it :lmao:

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Wayland said:
Head torches are great when you're camping alone.

In company they're a menace...... :rant:

Hahaha, Agreed.

Voivode said:
I have a Petzl Tikka Plus. The lamp tilts, so I can point the beam at the ground when I'm with others so that I can still see what I'm doing but I have to tip my head way back to shine it in the eyes of others.

I've got the same torch. If there are other peole around, I pull it down so the strap's around my neck and the torch rests on my chest. That way I can see whatever's in my hands, and I don't blind people. Sometimes I think even when it's dipped that torch is quite bright for anyone around you...

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Garnett said:
Sometimes I think even when it's dipped that torch is quite bright for anyone around you...

I agree. I still try to not face people square on, but it sure goes a long ways. We also normally have a campfire going, and so only turn the lamp on for brief periods when fumbling in the dark for something, brushing teeth, etc. Firelight is usually enough to hold a conversation or whittle until it's time to sleep.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
For me, the best part of being in a group is the "burst" beam on my Tikka XP right in their eyes. :lmao:

Generally I have it hung around my neck though, pointing at the ground so it doesn't kill everyones night vision and where possible, I try not to use it at all.

I used to have a torch and a head torch but with the XP, I just have that... love the thing. No idea what my favorite bit of kit is though :rolleyes:

Gailainne

Life Member
dommyracer said:
Haha I know what you mean Wayland, nothing worse than catching a full beam square in the face.

Try it scuba diving at night "shudder"

Fav bit of kit (for the moment) is my casio exlim 10.1MP camera, does video too !

Fav shinny is my Cegga Axe, closely followed by Stu's woodlore style knife.

Stephen

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
CAn't say my Cegga axe since I had a moment of weakness :(

So my Lee Reeves double bit :D or my new knife when Stu get his finger out :)

Actually its my coffee pot - ask Greywolf or LS!

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nothing really - Its a huge Coleman enamel percolator.

The" different" bit is that I take green coffee beans, skillet roast them, hand grind them so you get the worlds freshest coffee!

Red

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
For me....my favourite bit of kit is my brain and knowledge of the outdoors that I have stored away in it. You guys can talk about knives, boots, guns, or packs all that you want but without the knowledge of bushcraft that we all have in our heads all the kit in the world won't matter a damn if we don't know how to use it.

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE