Favourite bird

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Those of you who have not met Siberian jay have missed a quite character in the family. It is not a big bird but good company when camping.
Crows and jays seem talkative here too ... and the range of sounds is huge

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We have some very well-feathered Grey Dowagers in the village.
Most of the Pink Mattress-backs have fled to the city for the winter.

The Algonquin word is "wisakedjak" which easily became the "Whiskey-Jack."
A camp thief as bold as the squirrels if there ever was one. Sitting by the fire, they are happy to perch on your fingers and peck at your peanut butter on toast.
They don't like coffee.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The Algonquin word is "wisakedjak" which easily became the "Whiskey-Jack."
A camp thief as bold as the squirrels if there ever was one. Sitting by the fire, they are happy to perch on your fingers and peck at your peanut butter on toast.
They don't like coffee.
Canada jay is a relative of Perisoreus infaustus and it sounds like it behaves much the same. I have never tried to give a "kuukkeli" coffee or tea, most things edible seem to be ok.

Reactions: Robson Valley

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Favourite bird is a hard one. While I am partial to a good roast chicken, roast bobwhite is very good, as is deep fried pigeon, and for Christmas you can keep your old turkey, give me a goose every time. ;)

Having lived in the eastern US as well as the UK I have a soft spot for some of the common birds that I grew up watching and hearing. Those US birds; bright red cardinals, all-over blue jays, redwing blackbirds with their epaulettes were certainly striking to look at, but they were more squawkers than singers. The little ruby throated humming birds were great to watch too as they were by far the most fearless and would come to feeders right next to one.

Right now though, I think my favourite bird has to be the red kite. I remember 20 years or so ago when I saw my first kite in mid-Wales. Nothing but a spec soaring over a distant peak. Now they have spread through the Chilterns even up into Leicestershire. Then nested in the spinney of trees across the field behind my house and they are a regular site low in the sky. Their size and acrobatic turns make them something special to watch.

The pictures below were taken with a 100mm lens and cropped, not the best arrangement. I put some meat scraps out and those that our horde of magpies left were eventually spotted by the kites.

IMG_1207.JPGIMG_1210.JPGIMG_1140.JPGIMG_1150.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE