fatwood group buy interest?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
ive been wanting to get some more fatwood for ages but buying ti in small quantities is usually quite expensive. how many people would be interested in a group buy? i was thinking of getting the 13kg box from here http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=643a
and splitting it into 1kg bundles. i havent worked out postage on it but it should work out cheaper than buying smaller amounts as a single person?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Surely its easier to go remove the lower dead branches of pine... this is, after all, fat wood. Available in abundance anywhere there are pine.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Would be interested, would you be able to do it in 500g lots rather than 1kg?

Thanks

Julia

i dont see why not. i could do it in multiples of 500g i suppose. it will probably depend on how many people want to do the group buy.

Surely its easier to go remove the lower dead branches of pine... this is, after all, fat wood. Available in abundance anywhere there are pine.

its not like this stuff though, ive never found proper fat wood in the uk in the wild

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Also, it you can keep the package inside the box sizes that RM dictate, then the 500g bundle will be well under the 1kg price jump of the postage boundaries...

J

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Every single pine tree contains proper fat wood mate, especially dead ones... on live ones you take the lower section of the dead branches lower down the tree. It collects where the branch hits the trunk. You only get about 3 or 4 inches of good stuff per branch... but i guarantee you its proper fat wood.

i dont see why not. i could do it in multiples of 500g i suppose. it will probably depend on how many people want to do the group buy.

its not like this stuff though, ive never found proper fat wood in the uk in the wild

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
ok, just seen the thread on fat wood. i know where there are loads of downed pines. might pop out there tonight to gather some. maybe i shant do a gb after all

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Thing is, given the cost of that carton, even with royal mail parcel rates, it's cheaper for me to get 500g from Tom than it does for me to get the bus to the nearest pine forest. That's before I spend an hour finding suitable wood...

Tom, organise the group buy, worst case you don't get enough people.

J

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
A bushcrafter should never buy that which is freely available all around them. :)

The roots and knots are the best... take something to dig with. :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Well used camping spots are usually the best places to find it. The Neds cut live pines down in spring/summer, leaving a stump for the roots to pump resin into. The more green fungi growing on the stump, the older and more resinous it is. Once you've found a few, you can spot them from a mile off. The colour is a distinctive green.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
sweet, i cant wait to go collect some. i know where there are a shed load fo old pine stumps. i may just collect a load and sell it on instead of doing a GB, should be even cheaper that way

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE