Fatwood experience

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
So I used fatwood as an accelerant the other day when making a cuppa. I've always used cotton wool to start stoves really, but thought I'd try it since I'd found some really fatty pine from a fallen tree on my local forest.

I did however have a slight problem with it.. almost as soon as I put my mug on the stove to heat the water it started collecting an oily liquid on the bottom of the mug which actually built up so much it was dripping down onto the fire.. not just one or two drips, it was continual drip.. drip.. drip, which was hissing in the fire and obviously not helping things.

I would have thought it's the oils from the fatwood, but can anyone confirm this? If so, I'm probably never going to use it again, what a nasty business. Also, I waited about 15 minutes to start boiling after lighting the fire to build some coals so I would have expected the fatwood to have burnt out but no.

Slightly confused, if anyone could shed some light I'd be grateful.

Cheers! :confused:

Oh, it might be helpful to note it was a titanium mug, stainless stove, and just dry wood from around the area, Beech and Oak mostly I think.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would only use fatwood to start a fire, anything else and its full of resin which coats everything.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Don't do what I did,used a handfull to start the bbq jeez black wasn't the word for it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I made the mistake of using some fatwood as fuel under a mess tin in the dark. When morning came i couldn't believe the mess it had made on the underside of the tin.
Lesson learned!

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I made the mistake of using some fatwood as fuel under a mess tin in the dark. When morning came i couldn't believe the mess it had made on the underside of the tin.
Lesson learned!

Fatwood as fuel!!!!!!! You know what I am going through here lol
Obviously my disapproval was not enough to stop you; and you continued with your wastrel ways
Now its Oh Oh its made my mess tin messy
AGM!

velvetmonkey

Feb 2, 2012
Co Down
Yeah,

I'd agree with dwardo - Fatwood or Maya sticks best used for lighting a fire, or using in wet conditions, when other fuel is soaked through.
Great for starting a fire, but as you've discovered, not very pleasant burning.
It can also be a bit of a chore cutting a bit off, dependant on how pitch filled the log is

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
NEVER use litard as fuel UNLESS the sole pupose of the fire is for light. I've used it all my life (big chunks of it) in the fireplace in the house to get the hardwood started or on a campfire for the same purpose. It's main advantage being, you can skip the tinder and go straight to the kindling (as a chunk the size of your forearm lights as easily as a piece of dry newspaper)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE