Family trees ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The Scottish records are all online and make searching for your ancestors quite easy, there is a charge for downloading copies of birth/death/wedding certificates, but it isn't much. I have a tree for both parents dating back to births in the mid 1700's.

Church records are online from before that period but I have yet to find the time to look back any further.

I was naturally curious as a child and would quiz my grandparents, aunts and uncles about their memories of their parents and grandparents, I made notes so much of that information is available for my kids and theirs. If you have older relatives, ask them now, once they've gone all those stories are gone forever.

My grandmothers younger sister, ran away to travel the world with a Japanese juggler, during the war years he changed his name and tried to pass him self off as being from Siberia, that worked for a time, however the authorities caught up with him and he eventually found hilm self teaching jujitsu to commandos in the highlands.

From SWMBO's family we have tales of a great aunt who used to smuggle silks, silver and such across international borders prior to the first world war, she would sew items into her clothing and if I remember correctly she once disguised herself as a young soldier.

:)

Edited to add:

There are many bits of software for organising and displaying your family trees, most based on a system developed by the Church of Latter-day Saints, however in my experience most of those seem to introduce errors into your tree when the tree grows too large. There are online services but these seem to be run as mini-facebooks, more interested in gathering your social profile than building a tree. My advice would be to stick to sheets of A3 paper and a pencil, until something worthwhile comes along anyway.

:)

Last edited:

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
I have recently started to dig into my family tree (The initial shock of finding out my Grandmother's side of the family are from Lancashire is just about waring off ;-) )

I found a site http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ which is a non-profit that aims to transcribe the civil records for births marriages and deaths. It's the same register the subscription sites charge you to see. A couple of hours and I was back in the 1800's.

Cheers

LB

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
got my Grans on my Mothers side as far back as 1780(a sail maker at Liverpool docks) also found some interesting stuff about a relative who was in the 2nd Boer war.

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
I've traced my family tree back on both sides to the 1600's using mainly free sources (including ancestry.co.uk - the free trials are indeed free, but you have to put your card details in to get them then remember to cancel them when they run out in order not to get charged after that) I think the only bit we paid for was to trace some Scottish descendants on my mothers side. it is very interesting to look through the old census info and see what your relatives did and whee they all lived etc. I found out that my mum is the first one of her dads family to move more than about 10 miles away from their birth place in Wiltshire in the last 200 years (she now lives in Yorkshire). Also that one of my dads relatives was in an insane asylum listed as criminally insane (not sure what he did yet) :)

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Yeah did it a few years ago, With a lot of help from a distant relative who was doing the same. Traced my Dads side back roughly 500 years all from the same area of North Yorkshire, Read copies of Wills, land deeds and even Court papers of a relative that was given 7 years Transportation to One of the Colonies, Fascinating reading , As for my Mothers side drew a blank there Only went back a couple of generations

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not done much official tracing, though there is a family tree amongst my fathers papers - just need to figure who had it. Growing up I was always told that our family were brought over from Norway and hired as mercenaries by the McLeod's to knock lumps out of their neighbours. Always took it with a pinch of salt (despite the huge Viking looking paternal grandfather). Having spoken to others over the years with the same (relatively rare) spelling of our surname a fair few have come up with the same story even though not obviously related other than by name. So there's maybe something in it. Will have to get the DNA done one day to see.

Some interesting stuff coming up in folks posts, enjoying the read.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I did this on my Dad's line going back through the males.

It turns out that the bloodline and surname came from the unmarried daughter of the family who had a male child by an unknown father in 1820 in rural Wiltshire. She gave the child her surname.

There was a lot of that about back then which makes cross checking any information extremely important.

Last edited:

Covert System

May 6, 2013
Nottingham
Hi Paullyfuzz, try looking up gene reunited, it is free until you want to contact someone or if someone wants to contact you and you need to reply.

Ancestry is another one that could help you.

The only reason I didn't cough up membership is because these sites are charging for access to information in many cases which the british tax payer has already through various taxes already paid for and is free in any case. So I don't bother and to the gentleman who mentioned cemeteries and church yards, you will find that many will charge a search fee, the cemetery office I worked in charged £29 per person found.

If you get to your local public records office, you should find that they have a suite of tools you can access for free.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Moved this to Other Chatter

Shelly does family history, she's got over a thousand names so far, you should stick with it and you'll get somewhere, it seems to go in fits and starts, none for a while and then loads.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
here in much of the South, family trees don't always fork. :lmao:

Hence DNA is inadmissable in 5 states due to everyone having identical DNA.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
here in much of the South, family trees don't always fork. :lmao:

Hence DNA is inadmissable in 5 states due to everyone having identical DNA.

Did always like the Bill Hicks joke: -

"I'd like you to meet my wife and sister”. And there was one girl standing there. Not a thumb between them, godammit. Bill Hicks on Tennasseans

(Santaman - the 5 states thing is a joke right?)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Moved this to Other Chatter

Shelly does family history, she's got over a thousand names so far, you should stick with it and you'll get somewhere, it seems to go in fits and starts, none for a while and then loads.

I need to dig up my English ancestors (well, the names on the list that is ... ) and compare, maybe we're family :yikes: ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE