Family Lakeland Walk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Went on a walk in the lakes yesterday. Nothing spectacular just a short stroll partway up red screens. It got me thinking how little we've done this year in the lakes and how we used to take living less than an hour from really nice walking areas for granted.

It occurred to us that our son did harder walks as a 3 year old than he has as a 7 year old. He did the wansfell loop as little more than a toddler with half of it walking! He has done some great walks for a 3 or 4 year old but less as a 6 and 7 year old.

Anyone got tips on getting out more with kids 7-8 age group? Did challenges like Wainwright ticking help? He's an outdoor type when he's out there it's just motivation to get out there I think he or we lack.

I just wondered if anything works?

MCNZ

Jul 1, 2020
Newcastle
It's a bit old school now, but geocaching could be an option? The puzzle / treasure hunt aspect engages some kids.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've been teaching while exercising in the early days of lockdown and boy is it hard!!! We had the grid reference and using my phone's A-GPS I could detect where it was and I tell you it wasn't there! Then back on the site and someone found it apparently. No way! We spent up to 10 minutes searching, that's three of us, every day for 3 weeks before we gave up. That's searching for a cache that's supposed to be easy to find.

What are we doing wrong?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes, no help. It's a small cache so could be in a crack in the bridge, wall or tree. We checked everywhere we could find that could hold anything from a matchbox sized up.

I was using viewranger on my phone and it has a darkened circle showing estimated accuracy. It kept getting bigger and smaller we were over it when the circle got its smallest. IIRC the tip said "look up and down" but we couldn't make much of that. Not looking at the location.

Not finding it kind of made our son lose interest in geocaching. Would a hiking GPS be more accurate or help? They often have geocaches pre loaded.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE