FAKed up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
My other half does occupational Therapy for an old folks home.On a recent day out with them,one fell over and an ambulance was called as she cut her arm quite badly.The ambulance driver had sterastips(stick on stitches) on board but needed a doctor to put them on as Paramedics arn't allowed to. I then told my missus that i carry some in my FAK, she told me that if i put any on anyone but myself I could be in trouble.The reason being that if I applied them to a 3rd party and the wound was not properly cleaned,I could trap in an infection and be liable to be sued! the same thing applies if I give someone a paracetomol from my FAK and they have an allergic reaction,I would be liable.From now on collegues with a head ache can continue to suffer.They all know I have some and I have given out about half a dozen in the last 3 months! :shock: [/b]

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I remember being at school with the worst headache i have ever felt, and asking the school nurse fora paracetomol and she wouldnt because i might be allergic! :evil:

Cheers,

Jake

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I suspect the liability would only come about of you were professing some special knowledge or qualification, ie as a professional. Having the stuff and not knowing how to use it, or what the limitations might be, isn't too great though. Having the stuff might give the impression that you know what your doing so the victim might think you know best. Always a good idea to say to the person "I've got these, they'll probably help with this, but the risks are such and such...what do you want to do" Same goes with OTC meds, you're only acting as a resource.

Common law would give a defence of necessity, if you're acting to save a life, so you stick your minging headnet on a heavily bleeding wound to encourage clotting because it was the best thing you had, sure you might increase the risk of infection but's better than bleeding to death. Would your steristrips come into that category. or are you just saying to the person, these'll hold the wound together till you can get to casualty?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Slightly off topic, but here goes.

In the US (specifically Kentucky) anyone born after about 1975 who wants to hunt has to pass a Hunters Education Course. That applies even if you are non resident to the USA. Fortunately for me the did the course on videos and I only had to find an examiner while over there.

Anyway, part of the course talked about first aide and a couple things struck me as bizarre. One was that if you found a person in difficulties you had to ask them if they wanted your help, having told them your level of training. If they say no, you can't help, just have to stand and watch. When they pass out, then you can help. If they come around again, you have to stop!!!

Second thing, you mustn't tell someone that "They will be alright". You aren't qualified to say one way or the other and if you get it wrong you could cause emotional trauma.

In either case you could end up sued.

I know the yanks love their legal games, but this seemed like taking it too far, but apparently not, they were dead serious!

Crazy world isn't it!!

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
C_Claycomb said:
Crazy world isn't it!!
Don't worry Chris! It'll be alright! :lol:

Thanks for sharing that - had no idea. Sadly, it'll probably be the same in the UK soon. :roll:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
C_Claycomb said:
<snipped> if you found a person in difficulties you had to ask them if they wanted your help, having told them your level of training. If they say no, you can't help, just have to stand and watch. When they pass out, then you can help. If they come around again, you have to stop!!!
that's pretty much how things stand in the UK as well, we all have the right to say what we want to happen to us, even if to the person watching it seems illogical. In the NHS we're big into informed consent, and watch the headlines when people are deprived of it. Under common law in England and Wales even to touch someone ( or make them think you're going to touch them) could be common assault without the person's permission

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
waiting for those knives has given you another one!
But this time i can just go into my medi cupboard!

Under common law in England and Wales even to touch someone ( or make them think you're going to touch them) could be common assault without the person's permission

I seriously think things are getting ridiculous with all these rules. I sometimes get so frustrated by all these things that i wonder if i should just go live in the jungle and never see a human again, that way i wouldnt know about these governments and their ideas! But then again, i wouldnt be able to come online! So maybe not. :wink:

Jake

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Whatever happened to common sense! pc gone crazy.

If i had been injured in some way i would rather have someone say your going to be ok,rather than saying "i,d better not say your going to be fine just in case i could be sued" what a moral booster that would be.

CHEERS STUART F,

jakunen

Native
I thought they'd changed the law regarding this?

Due to so many people (even WITH valid 1st aid certificates), saying 'You can bleed to death mate. I am NOT going to be sued by your family!', they were supposed to be putting somethign thru parliament to the effect that if you did your best to help someone and things went wrong, unless they could PROVE that you deliberately cocked up, you would be immune from prosecution as you had volunteered to help them.

As for this country becoming too much like the 53rd state, all I can do is shake my head and fill out another insurance form to cover me in the event of being prosecuted for being proud to be British...

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
A nurse friend told me a few years ago that if she walked past an accident and didn't help she could be sued, due to her being a qualified nurse!

Shocking, although I take it with a slight pinch of salt!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
well it,s a case of, you,re damned if you do and damned if you don,t, in this country.

A sad reflection on the society we live in today, everthing is money oriented.CHEERS STUART F.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Stew,

My girlfriend is anurse and she tells me this is true, you cant walk past an icident and not help, your obliged by law as you are a medical professional.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
It's funny I cut myself at work the other week and looked in the FAK for a plaster, there were none. I went to admin and told them they were out and they said plasters were'nt allowed on FAK's any more as people may have an allergic reaction to the Adhesive and sue?? :shock: I countered this by saying "Could the same person not sue if they got an infection due to the employer not supplying suitable wound dressings?? :shock:

THAT got em thinking MWUHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA :twisted:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Nice one Dave. I got to thinking how i,d like to take all these people who think of these stupid rules and dump them into the wilderness and let Mother nature drop a bucket load of reality into their lap. Who would they sue then? CHEERS STUART F.

jakunen

Native
:twisted:
Its bloody ludicrous!
You can't have plasters because of the adhesive.
Zinc oxide tape and paste are banned because they cause adverse reactions in a few people.
You can't have apririn or paracetamol for the same reason.
One place I worked told me no creams liek savlon coz someone had had a reaction.
No forceps (tweezers) or scissors as they are dangerous weapons.

OK, what's left?
A trinagular bandage, a crepe bandage - no hang on htey can be too tight and coz a tourniquet effect.
So, one 1st aid kit contains - one triangular bandage, one leaflet and er, a lot of empty space!
(We really need a 'shaking head in bemusement' smilie...)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Its getting to the stage where by the time everybody decides who,s going to help you regardless of the fear of being sued and then deciding what to give to help you,you,re already dead,then theyll say oh well at least he won,t be sueing. And then a voice says at the back "who,s going to inform his relatives" the answer comes back" not me i could be sued".

Where does all this cr*p end cos i despair.
CHEERS
STUART F.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
having read your replies, the legalities of common sense are even more FAked up than I originally thought. :banghead: but if I did this, no one would help for fear of the legal consequences! ARRRGH

jakunen

Native
bushwacker bob said:
having read your replies, the legalities of common sense are even more FAked up than I originally thought. :banghead: but if I did this, no one would help for fear of the legal consequences! ARRRGH
What is this 'common sense'? Think I vaguely remember hearing about a long time ago...
But don't worry, I'm sure we'd help a fellow BCUKer. After making you sign over your savings, your gold watch, signed an indemnity form in quintuplet (in your won blood to make it binding in both earthly AND unearthly courts...) :twisted:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE