Fak questions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Since I saw a recent post about somebody burnt then selves quite badly I've decided to keep a burns kit in the house and carry one on me on the trail. Question.. How do I keep cling film compact and useable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I wouldn't use cling film in my FAK - instead carry some appropriate plastic bags. If you're really keen you can actually buy burn dressing kits but I think this is perhaps overkill unless your looking after a group.

If you think about a likely burn I would suggest it would be a scald to the arm / hand or leg or possibly a burn from a fire accident (once again the hand is most likely). This is why IMO a bag is more appropriate and easier to manage.

Any dressing is only for infection control and only until you reach primary care. My first concern would be access to water for cooling & the ability to raise an alarm. Infection control is secondary & will be dealt with in hospital if the burn serious enough.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
As previously mentioned, cling film is a sod to use in this situation, you are better off with a plastic bag. It folds up nice and small if you do it sensibly, has the same function, an if it's a burn to a hand, you just put the whole hand in the bag *AFTER* you've cooled it down.

For cooling it down, consider carrying something like Burn gel. Tho the old stalwart of water will work just as well, if you have enough of it. And you need a lot. The ideal is to put the affected area under RUNNING water for at least 10 minutes. That's a lot of water...

Also note, you don't have to just use water, any liquid that you can drink is ok for cooling a burn, in a pinch.

J

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Cling film rather than a bag. The whole point of cling film is that it does not allow air into contact with the burn and all those damaged nerve endings. And straight forward cling film from the supermarket, you don't need special medical stuff - this is what I have had issued on operations in a previous life. I have used it on a chest burn after 10-15 min under running water and was heartened by the relieving paramedics response to my efforts. Burn gel is all very well but those in the link are ten 3.5ml sachets - you need litres of water. Pain relief is hugely important, and you have to be mentally prepared for some difficult sights and screaming.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
For cooling it down, consider carrying something like Burn gel. Tho the old stalwart of water will work just as well, if you have enough of it. And you need a lot. The ideal is to put the affected area under RUNNING water for at least 10 minutes. That's a lot of water...
Gel dressings are good if there is no water but water is the way to go if you have it.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
One of the reasons for using Cling film is that its thouhgt to be sterile, as air has not touched the faces that your putting on the wood has nto seen any air since it was made... I've also used cling fim to go over dressings to keep them clean and dryish.. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE