Facebook, twitter, pinit thingy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Please can you do something about the annoying Farcebook, twit, pinit etc thingy that comes up every time I open a thread.
It takes up to 20 seconds EVERY TIME I OPEN A THREAD!
I have no interest in in the Farcebook etc but I do have an interest in the various threads on this site and wasting aprox 10 minutes everytime I have a wander through the collective genius of our membership is killing the fun!
Tell me how to kill it, speed up its loading or remove it from the site - PLEASE!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Which browser are you using John?

The widget which are annoying you by slow loading are hosted by a third party site called addthis.com. You can block this by installing Adblock Edge (ABE) as a Firefox addon and crating a new filter for *.addthis.com

If you'd like step by step instructions, give me a shout.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - I am a total ignoramus when it comes to confusers ... ... erm... computers...
Browser? - just what came with the confuser along with Windows 8 ...Google Chrome, Internet Explorer ?????

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Probably Internet Exploiter if it's a big blue lower case E that you click.

I can highly recommend Mozilla Firefox, available free here - the Adblock Edge install is very simple and can be done from within Firefox.

Adblock Plus (link) is available for IE - I've never installed it and don't have IE to be able to walk you through it.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Which browser are you using John?

The widget which are annoying you by slow loading are hosted by a third party site called addthis.com. You can block this by installing Adblock Edge (ABE) as a Firefox addon and crating a new filter for *.addthis.com

If you'd like step by step instructions, give me a shout.

John - if you install Adblock into your browser you can stop these elements from showing.

*cough*

Over to you then... :D

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Right click the thing you want rid of - choose adblock this. PLay with the threshold slider until it looks how you want. (I have the chrome extension so your mileage may differ).

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Only just seen this...

John, i kept it off for as long as I could mate, there's just too many people that flit between here and facebook now, we have people on facebook that only come here from there etc, it's the way of the world mate, sorry.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry John - I had to pop out.

Do you have a red button on a toolbar at the top of the screen with ABP on it in white? Is there an arrow next to it?

No red button..
Apology accepted Tony ... this time!:)
I will be off line now until Monday pm .. out tonight then off up the woods for a long weekend :)
No technology up there - just bushcraft!:lmao:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
just bushcraft, as it should be sometimes John, I've got my first night out in ages on Monday night in England, looking forward to it...

N

Nomad

Just back here after a while, and I'm finding the array of buttons slows things down as well - doing my nut in.

Using IE, and have Adblock Plus, but I can't find a way to block addthis.com. It seems as if it's set to block everything and you add stuff to be allowed through. Any pointers on how to get rid of the buttons?

N

Nomad

Not really what I would call a solution.

It would be nice if the forum had the option to switch it off in their settings. I don't see why the site should be rendered barely usable just because some people want buttons to facebook and all the rest. I can't scroll any pages until the buttons load. Even if there's something I want to click without scrolling, the timing is such that the buttons appear just as I click, causing the page to jump down a bit and I end up mis-clicking on something else. It happens on every single page load. Even if I press the back button, it insists on delaying things while it decides to reload this junk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE