Face mask.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Not really bushcrafty but....
Thought I'd spend a couple of hours in the sun, and have a go at making a face mask. Making a pattern that worked was harder than the mask. Not great, but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. Will have a go at fastenings and decorations tomorrow.

IMG_20200414_164034.jpg
IMG_20200414_164120.jpg
IMG_20200414_164144.jpgIMG_20200414_164213.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had a couple of the 'forensic' suits still in their bags up the loft. Never used, meant for digging on biologically dirty/hazardous sites ...recent graves, medieval hospital stuff.....and realising that I'd never use them now, I cut one up for masks. It's a non woven polyester stuff, even proof against nuclear particles says the blurb on the packet !...anyhow, the masks look just like the blue ones the hospitals are using but since mine aren't 'sterile' I wouldn't offer them to the NHS. I still have an arm and a leg though, and if you want some to make a liner for your leather mask, pm me and I'll put some in an envelope. I checked, and have washed mine and they're fine. I just used the same dilution of bleach in water that I use for the teatowels and the sink cloth. I reckon that'll kill anything noxious. So, if you made a couple of liners, that would let you wash and change as required.

Failing that, and for simplicity, coffee filters are supposed to be very good to use too, and they come a muted cafe latte colour so wouldn't look so weird against the colour of the leather as the blue might.

M

Reactions: crosslandkelly

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I had a couple of the 'forensic' suits still in their bags up the loft. Never used, meant for digging on biologically dirty/hazardous sites ...recent graves, medieval hospital stuff.....and realising that I'd never use them now, I cut one up for masks. It's a non woven polyester stuff, even proof against nuclear particles says the blurb on the packet !...anyhow, the masks look just like the blue ones the hospitals are using but since mine aren't 'sterile' I wouldn't offer them to the NHS. I still have an arm and a leg though, and if you want some to make a liner for your leather mask, pm me and I'll put some in an envelope. I checked, and have washed mine and they're fine. I just used the same dilution of bleach in water that I use for the teatowels and the sink cloth. I reckon that'll kill anything noxious. So, if you made a couple of liners, that would let you wash and change as required.

Failing that, and for simplicity, coffee filters are supposed to be very good to use too, and they come a muted cafe latte colour so wouldn't look so weird against the colour of the leather as the blue might.

M
That's a kind offer Toddy, but I was thinking of using some carbon cooker hood filter. Thank you for the offer though.

Reactions: Toddy

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk

M

They don’t need to be sterile for the NHS to use them as covid PPE just FYI, in case anyone comes across a van full somewhere!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE