F.S. Pheonix Phreeranger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Another clearout victim:
this time a Phoenix Phreeranger mountain/backpack tent.GONE!:D :D
It's a good age but hasn't really been used that much,the fly sheet is still perfectly ok, indeed, with the exception of a not very neatly repaired pegging point, it's in very good condition.
This was apparently cutting edge, in the mid to late 80's, I wouldn't know but it's an excellent tent.
P6180017.jpg

It pitches fly first with a large main pole forming the arch and very short spreader for the crown
P6180033.jpg

it's easily big enough for two backpackers and is easy to pitch, even in a gale.
P6180018.jpg

it pegs around the fly sheet and in most cases, that's all you need but there are also three storm guys on either end and three across the back.
P6180035.jpg

it weighs 1.72kgs. everything bar the sewn in ground sheet( which is buytl nylon) is ripstop and it's designed for rough weather.
The rather untidy repair to the pegging point was carried out before the tent came into my hands but to be honest, I've never seen the need to do anything with it. Just been idle really but its never caused any issues.
P6180021.jpg

this is the point in question, it's missing an alloy ring and the original elastic cord for the inner tent although the elastic has been replaced with some black shock cord.
P6180037.jpg

P6180036.jpg

I've taken the peg point into consideration but this was and still is, a serious piece of kit, in otherwise very good condition.
forgot to add that the original owner thought it a good idea to write their name on the main bag, at least this is on the back!
I'm asking for £65 + £5 RMRD

if your interested, post and pm
first pm secures
thank you for looking
R.B.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
I remember these tents when the first appeared(daily it seems I'm reminded that I am getting on):rolleyes: :D .

Very good tents

For this kind of money, if I needed a tent of the type I'd have it off you in a minute.

All the best with the sale I'm sure it won't last long.

rancid badger

I remember these tents when the first appeared(daily it seems I'm reminded that I am getting on):rolleyes: :D .

Very good tents

For this kind of money, if I needed a tent of the type I'd have it off you in a minute.

All the best with the sale I'm sure it won't last long.

Thanks Chris;)
To be honest, if it doesn't go, I'm not too worried about it.
Unlike the Gore Tex bivvy tent I am selling, both me and my son can easily get into this one, so it might still be handy for canoeing trips:)
I'd rather sell it though, because chances are it'll end up back in the locker:rolleyes:
EDIT:
Just thinking there, the last time I used it, was for a control point,on a navex.Complete with cam net rigged over the top, tucked in very nicely by a dry stone wall:umbrella: but that's nearly seven years ago now! where does the time go?:dunno:
cheers
Steve

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Just thinking there, the last time I used it, was for a control point,on a navex.Complete with cam net rigged over the top, tucked in very nicely by a dry stone wall:umbrella: but that's nearly seven years ago now! where does the time go?:dunno:
cheers
Steve
Tell me about it.:rolleyes:
I was just thinking.
Around the mid eighties I bought a Vango Hurricane Alpha (similar quality but a wee bit heavier) which I still have and love dearly(lot's of good memories) it's still going strong.

I have to say that looking at the quality of "modern" tents I really don't feel the need to upgrade to a newer model. The build quality and durability of materials just don't inspire confidence.

Again, quality item at a bargain price.:cool:

rancid badger

Hi RB, thanks for replying to the pm - its this shirt im on about ;) many thanks

Aha! right then, the shirt is indeed, a 5:11 Tactical.
Now then, you can buy these from Ray Mears, I'm not sure how much but the cheapest I've found and with excellent service too, is "Polimil" I paid a mere £32.50 if I remember right, but they were definitely the cheapest I could find.

These are superb shirts, bomb proof, loads of discreet pockets, tapes for the sleeves when rolled and far superior to the likes of Craghoppers as far as being robust goes. I know this from personal experience of both brands by the way;) I like the Craghoppers shirts for their lightness and quick dry capability and they are very good if its hot, while the 5:11 Tactical has the edge for toughness and practicality.
either is comfortable and even, fairly smart to wear:cool:
When I'm instructing or doing prep/recce work, I wear my 5:11's.
I currently have two; an olive one and a khaki. The khaki one is really quite smart enough to wear almost anywhere if you iron it:D

I don't rate the tactical trousers mind you, they are also bombproof but are like sponges if it's damp, soon becoming heavy and even a bit stiff when wet;)

Anyway, you don't, by any chance know someone, who might want to buy an, admittedly old but very good quality, two man tent do you?:D

very best wishes;)
R.B.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Cheers RB, very informative that so i reckon ill be getting along to Polmil..

Dont know anyone after a tent though sorrry, but at least its getting a bump for free :eek:

many thanks!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I was thinking that'd be a fine tent for Cameron in situations where he can't use a hammock. If you still have it by next week, give me a shout. I'm a bit short of cash right now (unless there's something I have that you'd like to trade for?)

Eric

john wings

Forager
Dec 12, 2004
cornwall
i have cancelled my offer on the phreeranger tent;i hazard a guess,therefore,it may well be, still, for sale;(or already accounted for,as seller not replying)
apologies for causing my own little chaos!:confused:
john wings

rancid badger

sorry for my absence and tardiness in replying to any pm's/ posts etc. I've literally just got back from a bit of camping and canoeing at Ullswater-fantastic but more of that later;)

Just for the record; I will ALWAYS reply to posts and pms unless I miss them completely ( such as if a posting falls way down the current posting list)

I also came home to quite a bit of post to catch up on too!

best wishes
R.B.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
this is a great price for a great tent, back in the day these were the nuts!
can't believe no one's bought it, if i didn't have a similair tent i'd have this! For the price of a crappy regatta tent you'd be getting an excellent backpacing tent.

come one someone, it's a steal!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE