Experimental archaeology conference papers now on line :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RuthFT

Jan 31, 2012
UK
Hello! I'm one of the admins for the Experimental Archaeology Conference website, and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's popped over to take a look. I hope it's useful and interesting!

The website is brand-new, so if you do spot any glaring horrors please let me know. If you're interested in experimental archaeology there's a few other sites that might interest:

We have a facebook group which has a lot of news, information on courses and events etc.

There's been a webpage set up by someone hosting a lot of articles published by experimental archaeologists which might be of some interest.

There's also a great bibliography of over 9000 articles available at EXARC, which is the organisation for Open-Air and Experimental Archaeology museums. The bibliography is multi-lingual.

Best wishes,

Ruth

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Firstly; Hello Ruth :D and welcome to the virtual campfire that is BcUK :cool:

Secondly; Yeah, experimental archaeology.........like building crannogs, and digging up clay and making pots using shell temper, or using seaweed and hardwood ashes to create lye, or smelting ore or trying to recreate the first technologies of our ancestors.
Lots of useful bushcrafty information comes out with EA :D

I know of nine archaeologists on the forum and an awful lot of other very interested people too :D There are quite a few Living Historians (full time, I mean) as well as a large number of reenactors.

cheers,
Toddy

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'm one of the former archaeologists here, though my MA is in Experimental Archaeology :) I don't get the chance to do much experimentation these days, but I really need to start playing again (blooming work gets in the way). Mind you I do have the exp arch MA group for Exeter Uni come out to me for a metallurgy and blacksmithing session each year ;)

I've been out of the loop for too long :(

RuthFT

Jan 31, 2012
UK
Thanks! Having had a look around the forums there's certainly a lot of cross-over, I'll be sure to try and post anything interesting that comes up over here as well!

In particular, the dates for the next Experimental Archaeology Conference should be agreed this month, so hopefully I'll be able to pass them on soon. A lot of the stuff that gets presented is quite dry, but we usually have at least one paper on a practical aspect (this year's was on antler comb manufacture), as well as craftsmen coming in to do workshops (this year's were animal skinning and Bronze Age beaker manufacture), which might be of interest.

Nice to see you're still doing blade and leatherwork, those are my favourite crafts too! Though my most recent attempt looks decidedly more like an over-grown butter-knife... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE