Experience of PRU's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daryl

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2005
Worthing West Sussex
Hi

Has anyone out there had any experience/s of teaching in or for pupil referral units?

A friend has asked whether i would be interested in instructing for a local PRU, I have to say, my experience so far has been with FE, general public, youth groups and a bit of work for a North london council, it seems like a challenge, however I'm debating whether its a challenge too far at the moment!??

thanks guys and girls

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Not at a PRU (or Short Stay School as they are now:rolleyes:) but I used to work at a residential SEBD school.

What are you going to instruct them on? Is it a "mainstream" subject or something bushy?

I found that the kids soon learn what they can get away with and which staff are push overs. Staff that are consistent, firm but fair get far more respect from the kids.

Having said that, they are in a PRU for a reason, so can be challenging at times. Just remember, it isn't personal and generally speaking, they have a carp home life - whilst this is NOT an excuse for their behaviour, be aware of where they are coming from.

At the residential school I ran the Science dept, but by far the most rewarding part of the job was when I got to do something bushy with the kids:

• We bought 5 SA Trangias and did regular outdoor cookery slots
  • Made paracord keyrings
  • Went walking
  • Took them to archery
  • Started DoE Award
My advice, do it...you'll either love it or hate it, no in betweens:rolleyes:.

Simon

Last edited:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
My Mum has been teaching in one, or it's renamed equivalents, for about 8 years.
Basically, you can either take it or you can't and it's easy to see early on. Being sworn at and threatened is a normal part of the job, although they have managed to get a handful of students into university now.
The job can also be pretty heartbreaking; deaths, imprisonment and pregnancy/abortion are pretty commonplace as are some shocking cases of parental neglect.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
You may be expected to teach from the national curriculum, teach/help vocational study or 14-19 academy, outreach activities - in my experience PRUs will have a varied syllabus - a compromise between the individual needs of the pupil and the resources availalbe.

I echo what Simon and Sam said.

The strength of your relationship with them will heavily influence what can be achieved.

Sometimes you just have to abandon the national curriculum to work on the SEBDs.

All extremely challenging, but really rewarding - as long as you have a really really thick skin.

Alex

daryl

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2005
Worthing West Sussex
Thanks guys

Fortunately I do have a very thick skin, my daytime job being the under apprecited over abused area of ambulance work and for the private sector, less pay and perks more grief lol.
I have to say it doesnt fill me with dread, slight apprehention perhaps but i love a good challenge, and weirdly thrive on stress (certain types anyway).

Again thanks for the info defo appreciated.

daryl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE