Exped Synmat or Downmat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
My birthday is coming up and TPTB have said I can have a new kipmat,I'm not sure which to go for the synmat or the downmat.I'll be getting the 9DLX either way.
What I'd like to know is which one people have and all the BAD points of each.
I'll be getting the larger one because I really do like my comfort.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got the 7DLX and I'm well impressed with it.

Bad points:

It's down and susceptible to damp I suppose

Good points:

It's down and it's toasty

I've not used it in cold weather though yet Chris as I prefer to be in the hammock when I can

I have a Synmat 7DLX and i love it.
Good points......It's really comfortable, Pack size is small, Our damp climate isn't as much of an issue than with the Down version
Bad points..... Is doesn't fit inside a bivibag and still leave enough room for me to fit in as well. It takes a little while to pump it up.
I also tend to put a german folding kipmat underneath it to help prevent punctures. The kipmat folds up to A4 size and weighs hardly anything, so I always bring it along, even just for something to sit on.

Aug 11, 2010
switzerland
I just bought the Downmat DXL7.
Used it already this year down to -3 in a hammock with a 3 season down bag as a quilt and stayed warm. great bit of kit!
Packs small and extremely comfortable. Takes about 50 pumps to fully inflate but if you lay the pump across your knees/thighs while standing it´s much easier to do than on the floor and can also be done while the mats in the hammock (Don´t get wet and dirty)

I´d buy another.

Waldi.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have the downmat - bought it this year after decades of Thermarest use. Much much warmer and more comfy. I don't think the down/damp thing is an issue if the buitl-in pump is used to inflate it.

NS

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I've got the 7DLX and I'm well impressed with it.

It's down and susceptible to damp I suppose

Do you have the integrated pump version? it helps limit the amount of moisture that will get in as you don't have to breathe into it.

I have the 7DLX Pump, and can thoroughly recommend it. I didn't need anything as bulky or extreme as the 9DLX (The 7 is good to -24 I think) But i do like the extra width the DLX gives.
Down usually has a greater life span than synthetic fibre (certainly in sleeping bags where it can last twice as long) and i would recommend the higher initial outlay and get the down version. The pump version looks like you're giving CPR, but is quite effective and warms you up before you sleep ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got the down mat, I've been using it for a couple of years, and I haven't found a problem with it yet.
Improvements ? Maybe the option to fill the integral pump one (like mine) with the same system as the older ones ? (attach fabric nozzle from the bottom of the Drybag, open the bag wide roll it down and squeeze the air into the mat three or four times and it's done), but the integral pump works very well.

cheers,
Toddy

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
I bought a 9DLX last year and it stopped me using my hammock, it really is that comfortable. I have used Thermarests for years previously and can't recall a total nights sleep like you do in your own bed.
No problem for a downmat though , Buy it ! you wont regret it.

Glen

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The downmat contains down that has been treated to reduce the negative effects of moisture. I have heard that you can even blow it up by mouth without it causing problems with moisture in the down. I've even seen a 3/4 length for £49 in the 7cm model. I do think that in the UK it is unlikely that you will need the extra performance of a downmat over the synmat. I mean -17C Synmat compared to -24C for the downmat, will you realistically need all that performance. That is in the 7cm mats. the 9cm will have better performance I guess.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I don't know if you have already purchased a mat, but I have the 9cm DLX with down. I went with down because it was the most natural material of the two. Bonus is that it supposedly packs down a little smaller, and that it is warmer.

Do I need all that extra insulation? Probably not, but it allows me to sleep on the side without pumping it really hard and still have enough insulation underneath (I'm pretty boney).

At least that was my reasoning for choosing the thickest one in down. I chose the widest one because I want it to be comfortable and not have my elbows touch the ground constantly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE