exped sleeping matts

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I have been looking to make myself more comfortable (getting older) at night. but I still need kit that is light enough to carry

I saw the exped down and syn matts and they looked promising although expensive. Any thoughts?

can anyone recommend warm comfortable but compact matts/beds

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have the exped downmat 9L
It's without a second's hesitation, the very best sleeping mat I have ever used.
I have rheumatoid arthritis, and even sore and aching, I can sleep soundly on the mat. It's a gentle warmth underneath me. It's as firm as one chooses to make it, it's not noisy, mine has proved to be robust, it packs down to about the size of a bag of sugar. It's wide enough to be a comfortable turn over on pad too. I'm only 5'2", and it's a bit long, but it fits snuggly into my tent at that and means pillows and the like don't slip off the head end.
I did try in in the hammock and it seemed awkward at first, but once I was in, it was brilliant. Totally killed any windchill and it was that gentle warmth below me again.

M

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have one of the big thick down ones - I find it luxurious but a bit OTT in a hammock unless it is really cold out. :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I have the exped downmat 9L
It's without a second's hesitation, the very best sleeping mat I have ever used.

Apart from having the exped synmat 9L, I have to agree with everything Mary said about exped mats.

If I ever had to sell any kit it would be one of the very last things to go.

You won't regret buying one that's for sure :)

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Sorry to hijack, but in the same boat. The downmats are on my list and maybe the 9L is now top of the pick thanks to Toddy!
2 queries though: is it too warm for summer use and would it fit a 6' 2" wide frame?!
I've read previously that the tubes help to line a hammock?

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Sorry to hijack, but in the same boat. The downmats are on my list and maybe the 9L is now top of the pick thanks to Toddy!
2 queries though: is it too warm for summer use and would it fit a 6' 2" wide frame?!
I've read previously that the tubes help to line a hammock?

Do you get too warm because you're on a thicker matress? A sleeping mat insulates you from the ground, that's all. It can only make sure your heat doesn't get drawn into the ground. (R value 5 is generally enough).
Would it fit: euhm, look at the specs and check the width? :p

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Do you get too warm because you're on a thicker matress? A sleeping mat insulates you from the ground, that's all. It can only make sure your heat doesn't get drawn into the ground. (R value 5 is generally enough).
Would it fit: euhm, look at the specs and check the width? :p

My query concerned the R rating being too warm in summer use with a normal bag on top. I understand the insulation from the ground but I've had a sweaty back before in high summer from a regular thermorest and summer synthetic bag; would a down may increase that?

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Mesquite; thanks mucker. That's increased the chances of money being spent on another mat!!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW does anyone know if thermarest are still using the American testing method using IIRC imperial measurements? I seem to remember this gives a high R value at twice that of the R value used in Europe. A TAR R value of 4 is equivalent to a 2 with Euro tested mats.

If true then do be aware of it as you might get a lower warmth level mat by mistake.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
My query concerned the R rating being too warm in summer use with a normal bag on top. I understand the insulation from the ground but I've had a sweaty back before in high summer from a regular thermorest and summer synthetic bag; would a down may increase that?

Well, if you're someone who sleeps very warm, having a worse R value can help cool you down. Problem with that is that you don't really have much control over it when you are actually feeling colder. If the insulation from the ground is sufficient, it shouldn't matter if you have an insulated air matress. If however you aren't well insulated and use the downmat, you might get more sweaty in your case.

I use a ridgerest classic (2,6) and a Vaude Norrsken (4,6). Unless i'm going to really cold area's, i'm fully insulated from the ground whatever i do, and it won't matter for me aslong as i basically stay above R value 4 in the area i'm in (i sleep warm). Anything over 4 doesn't make me feel warmer or more sweaty. (The ridgerest is basically to protect my bivy a bit, and my air matress.)

I doubt the down mat would increase it though, because in the summer, while it can get pretty cool, the R value you need is a lot lower too and i'm pretty sure the thermarest mat has plenty of insulation value in such cases, so you'd be just as fully insulated from the ground.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW does anyone know if thermarest are still using the American testing method using IIRC imperial measurements? I seem to remember this gives a high R value at twice that of the R value used in Europe. A TAR R value of 4 is equivalent to a 2 with Euro tested mats.

If true then do be aware of it as you might get a lower warmth level mat by mistake.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Since someone posted a link to the Amok Hammock, I've been looking at mats that have vertical tubes. The Amok needs this to create its structure. The recommended are long wide Exped 7s and 9s. The Synmats look the biz, but both review really well. The internal pump doesn't look much cop though, lots and lots of pumping. The Shnorkel thingy looks silly, but very effective.

So, they're pricy, but if they last for many nights out, that's money well spent I reckon. I've had an Alpkit and Multimat deflate during the night, resulting in a cold, uncomfortable sleep. So that's £100 quid not very well spent.

Invest in a good mat, pack it well inside your rucksack so it doesn't get pierced by rose or thorn, and sleep well. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My Downmat has the internal pump. It's very good, but if given the choice again, I'd buy one with the snorkel. It looks silly, but by heavens it's quick and effective :D
My wrists ache these days, and there's a definite knack to getting the internal pump working really effectively. I can do it very quickly now, but I still think the snorkel is a very good thing.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE