Exactly how snowy are the Yorkshire Dales at present?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
I'm supposed to be taking a posse of Explorer Scouts up to Malham at the end of January for a walking weekend. However with all this snow I'm having serious doubts whether it's a good idea.

Can anyone, please, tell me how much and how deep the snow is around the Settle and Malham areas?

Many thanks

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Possibly not entierly helpfull but there is very little snow left in lower Wharfedale and the parts of Nidderdale that I saw today.
I should imagine settle looks much the same.

Michael

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I drove through the Dales on Sunday, past Skipton and out to Kirby Lonsdale, very little snow left now apart from in a few low lying ditches.
Plenty of localised flooding and it looked like it might be hard going unless you're on hard paths.

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
Thanks for those replies.

I should have made it clear I was asking about the hills proper. I'm concerned that there is sufficient lying snow to invalidate our hillwalking qualifications.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think Pen-y-ghent and Ingleborough will still have some snow but, the lower fells around Malham should be fine.

You could try the tourist information office in Malham for a more up to date report
Tel: +44 (0) 1729 830363

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
Thanks for these replies.

I'll ring the YDNP tomorrow but I have to say that, unlike the Lake District and some other areas, there is a lamentable lack of information on ground conditions in the Dales despite it being such a popular and potentially hazardous place.

I am concerned that although there will have been something of a thaw there will still be considerable areas of frozen snow which are not within my remit as a walking leader.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE