Everyone else is doing it,............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
so i thought i,d try my hand at this spoon malarky ,......

had 9 days on a farm/campsite/wood just chilling

Had the kids so had to "Glamp it"

IMG01040-20110423-1315 by Raikey1, on Flickr

Anyway, i came up with these,...

IMG01072-20110426-2012 by Raikey1, on Flickr

i used a mora double sided thing (only one i could get,..)

and a Helle Brakar,

IMG01056-20110425-1746 by Raikey1, on Flickr

the lighter ones are willow and the darker ones are Ash,..

IMG01071-20110426-1417 by Raikey1, on Flickr

the wife had to go to work and so left me with the kids for 3 or 4 days, so i made her a love spoon for her return,..,..hahaha whatever on of those is,...

IMG01052-20110425-1425 by Raikey1, on Flickr

then i found a freshly downed willow with a few bigger bits so,...........

IMG01081-20110427-1423 by Raikey1, on Flickr

decieded the next thing would be a kuksa,...(again,..my first try)

IMG01082-20110427-1459 by Raikey1, on Flickr

hmmmmm

IMG01085-20110427-1825 by Raikey1, on Flickr

not sure where i got the shape from,...i think maybe subliminal from one i saw once,...dunno,...

IMG01086-20110427-1825 by Raikey1, on Flickr

pride of place on my ManShelf

IMG01142-20110511-2311 by Raikey1, on Flickr

Ta for looking,...

one thing i will say about the ole spoon making,..or any carving come to that,...is you completely zone out and forget the time of day and the stresses of everyday just wash away,....

proper therapy in my book,..and you end up with a spoon!,..

Stu...

Biker

Very, very impressive! 4 days in the woods with the kids must have been fun for them too!

Man shelf eh? Had to chuckle at that, like the rest of your house is over run with wifey's stuff and the kids and you're limited to a single shelf.

Anyway nice carvings mate, you certainly went for the high end of the ambitious stakes didn't you? Those spirals! Excellant work mate. I might have another go at doing another myself, at least I'll have some kindling to use at the end of it.

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
Nice one Stu! Looks like you had a good trip!

My first attempt at a spoon resulted in one half of a pair of chopsticks :( and there you are knocking out spirals and and kuksa :)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Nice work with the spoons and kuksa matey but isnt willow poisonous? just dont want you croaking it when swigging ginger wine from your latest creation lol

Dave

lol Dave,...

i,m never gonna shake the reputation of a alci am i??

nah willow is cool,...in fact isnt it willow bark thats chewed as a tooth ache remedy?

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset

My first attempt at a spoon resulted in one half of a pair of chopsticks :( and there you are knocking out spirals and and kuksa :)

LMAO,,,not even a whole pair...classic :)

And while I laud you for some truly great work there Raikey...I'm beginning to think you modelled your Kuksa on my bidet...;)

You have inspired me to at least buy a curved knife...let's see where we go from there. My last woodwork report at school was quite simple..."Nicholas has happily wasted away the year" I pointed out to my parents that the emphasis should have been on the word "happily"...alas "wasted" was what they were keen to focus on.

Nevermind eh!

Great work
Sack

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Very, very impressive! 4 days in the woods with the kids must have been fun for them too!

Man shelf eh? Had to chuckle at that, like the rest of your house is over run with wifey's stuff and the kids and you're limited to a single shelf.

Anyway nice carvings mate, you certainly went for the high end of the ambitious stakes didn't you? Those spirals! Excellant work mate. I might have another go at doing another myself, at least I'll have some kindling to use at the end of it.

it was good yeah,...

its amazing how much i learnt about the kids,...

everyday is , in from work, have an hour listening to the school stories then bed,..

then weekends are just a blur of shopping and visits to grandparents etc,...

so the time taken in the woods, no tv, no xbox, no toys, no Mammy to distract the Daddytime

just Daddy to entertain with his carvings and stories,..hahahah

fireside supper, hot choccies, and suprisingly intelligent conversations, ranging from, stars and our solar system, to where rice comes from,...and how a tree grows,..hahaha

i plan on doing this again next year, and Joel may even be coming to meet Uncle Southey next week at a meet down there,...hahaha

Cheers

Stu

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
That's a fairly elborate looking tent you have there Stu. Nice carvings too. I know that love spoon was really for me though, haha. Did you use a spoon knife for the kuksa or just the mora?

PS: where does rice come from?

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
That's a fairly elborate looking tent you have there Stu. Nice carvings too. I know that love spoon was really for me though, haha. Did you use a spoon knife for the kuksa or just the mora?

PS: where does rice come from?

the tent has an inflatable 3 piece suite, dining table, and a disco ball,..

i,m known in glamping circles as "Disco Stu" ask anyone,....

during the camping and caravan club rallys i,m usually the youngest there and they think i,m a crank with my crazy ways and flared trousers,...

one time, we were playing scrabble and i spelt out a naughy word ,...i,m a proper crank i tell thee,....

the love spoon was for Ali, my mrs, as an apology for me being unfaithful in the woods once with a Irish mentalist,...

i used a mora spoon knife and the beautiful Helle knife you see in the pics,...

Rice comes from Netto,....

PS i love you,....

Virgil

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2010
East Sussex
Green shopping (can't remember the URL) have the whole carving kit for £70 or thereabouts. I've got one, and so have all my friends. We're cool.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Me likey.......4 days out......top marks on the carvings

What is that knife on th man shelf?.....is that a Raikey?.....i like the matching wooden sheath....nice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE