Events (Scotland)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew
Other than the meetups that get organised here, and the various bushcraft/foraging courses and schools, what other sort of events are there worth attending? I've only just got into bushcraft/foraging so I haven't even given it a go yet. All the information on the internet is good, and this forum is just great, but I really want something else that I can attend to further immerse myself and get involved. I feel like I'm not doing much waiting around and just watching videos on youtube about it all. As I'm from scotland, suggestions for over here would be best due to me being 18 year old and having to rely on family members to drive me about - I don't really see myself traveling too far.

I also feel like forcing myself to get out and about will do good for my confidence, so there's that too.

Cheers :eek:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Small steps, if you've not been out take it slowly, don't venture too far but get out, have a plan b so if things go pear shaped you can keep safe, whether that's a phone call to get picked up or going with another, safety in numbers.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew
Small steps, if you've not been out take it slowly, don't venture too far but get out, have a plan b so if things go pear shaped you can keep safe, whether that's a phone call to get picked up or going with another, safety in numbers.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I agree :eek: I'll probably have a go in my local woods first. I'll probably have to find a spot that no one's been near though, I'd hate to run into people

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Don't be so disheartened by just looking at videos etc at the moment. They are modern day books and provide a wealth of information. But you are right, nothing beats getting hands on. Set an afternoon aside or a couple of hours and go practice a few basics.

Setting up a tarp shelter to work under, sleep under, a wind break. This will let you practice knots and also how even basic configurations can end up being a bit tricky to start.

Then your next wee trip out you know how to set up a basic shelter. Work on a small fire. Tinder ID, kindling, etc. by your next trip these two basics come even easier.

I hope you find the confidence to get out mate.

ATB

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Easy way to start, pack a small daysack out and go for a walk in the local woods. While your there maybe take some kit for making a quick brew (Cheap stove, metal mug, water, coffee etc..) This will give you a good look at the area in a relaxed mannor. Since your in Renfrew i can recommend the Kilpatrick hills which are very close and have several good areas for spending the night, as well as being very easy to navigate. Have a look in the wooded area around loch humphrey, and at the greenside and jaw reservoir. There's a path up to the humphrey from kilpatrick train station, or to the jaw/greenside from cochno road, or ofcourse just over the hills from the humphery path

Take a few pictures, they'll help jog your memory if planning a night out, heres a quick one from walking up the humphrey path in winter last year;

IMAG0758.jpg

Lots of other places about as well, arrochar, garelochhead etc..

Tonyuk

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew
Don't be so disheartened by just looking at videos etc at the moment. They are modern day books and provide a wealth of information. But you are right, nothing beats getting hands on. Set an afternoon aside or a couple of hours and go practice a few basics.

Setting up a tarp shelter to work under, sleep under, a wind break. This will let you practice knots and also how even basic configurations can end up being a bit tricky to start.

Then your next wee trip out you know how to set up a basic shelter. Work on a small fire. Tinder ID, kindling, etc. by your next trip these two basics come even easier.

I hope you find the confidence to get out mate.

ATB

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the videos have given me a wealth of knowledge and information so far - It's just so frustrating looking at it all and not actually acting on it. I'm thinking of doing exactly that at least for March at the latest though.

I was thinking about working on a half lean sort of shelter at first, maybe a saw horse, and then maybe start attempting at working on a spot for a fire and pot stand. While doing this I might take pictures to start a small blog. Not really to gain attraction, maybe just more as a personal diary so I can keep track of all the progress I've made so far. Then of course I could share my blog posts in here for advice/suggestions and feedback on my work so far.

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew
Easy way to start, pack a small daysack out and go for a walk in the local woods. While your there maybe take some kit for making a quick brew (Cheap stove, metal mug, water, coffee etc..) This will give you a good look at the area in a relaxed mannor. Since your in Renfrew i can recommend the Kilpatrick hills which are very close and have several good areas for spending the night, as well as being very easy to navigate. Have a look in the wooded area around loch humphrey, and at the greenside and jaw reservoir. There's a path up to the humphrey from kilpatrick train station, or to the jaw/greenside from cochno road, or ofcourse just over the hills from the humphery path

Take a few pictures, they'll help jog your memory if planning a night out, heres a quick one from walking up the humphrey path in winter last year;

IMAG0758.jpg

Lots of other places about as well, arrochar, garelochhead etc..

Tonyuk

Oft, that picture looks amazing! I'll definitely check out those places and see what they're like. To start of I'll do what you said and just venture into my local woods in Renfrew. As I said in my reply to Polecatsteve, I'll probably start of with small things and takes pictures of my progress, possibly for a blog to use as a sort of personal diary.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE