Erythema migrans! sign of Lyme Disease

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
It seems I now have something in common with Otzi and Ray!

Living in the environment up here I'm always very careful about ticks and very very rarely get any (average one a year max). About 3 weeks ago I found what looked like a fresh bruise and I had partially tripped cathing my leg on a branch the day before. There was no sign of any bite and no tick.

About a week and half ago it had developed in to the above which is Erythema migrans, a clear sign that I'd been biitten by an Lyme infected tick. As soon as I saw it I made a GP's appointment and decided not to say what I thought it was and let the Doc tell me. She was well on the ball and diagnosed it within seconds, a sharp intake of breath followed by 'I suppose you know what that is?'

A course of antibiotics was the way to go, 100mg twice day. I did go armed with information from the LDA (http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/) and after a short disscusion about my prefered treatment she agreed to give me an increased dosage of 200mg twice day for 3 weeks.

Had a blood test yesterday and have to wait for the results but it seems that a negative result does't mean you haven't got it!

Thankfully due to the fact that I developed the rash, apparently only 2 thirds of cases do, hopefully it's been caught early enough and so far, I've not had any ill effects.

IMHO the LDA website above is a great source of information and worthwhile spending some time on.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wish you a speedy recovery. The more this is brought into the open the more we all learn to recognise and prevent the onset.
Tiz a right lump mind!

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Hope you get better soon Dogoak.

We are plagued with ticks around here and I always carry a couple of packs of tick removers. My missus is a doctor and she has at least one person a week in to see her with a beastie attached.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Have a speedy recovery and thanks for sharing this. The more informed information on this subject the better.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh nasty :sigh:

I really hope you have a full and speedy recovery from any issues caused by the bite.

I agree about the LDA site too :) very clear and very reasonable for the tick removers set too.
Tbh, they should be in everyone's FAK.

atb,
Mary

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Best of luck with the recovery Chris

It's good that your Doc knew what it was straight away, my Doc down here didn't have a clue but then I guess that comes with the territory.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Thanks folks.

The reason I posted this was to further knowledge on Lyme disease and promote the LDA site.

I suppose I was fortunate, if you know what I mean, that the EM (Erythema migrans) manifested itself and being clued up on the subject I knew what it was. Most folks know when they've been bitten by something due to pain, irritation etc, but with this there has been no itchiness or anything. The LDA site has certainly furthered my knowledge and I was lucky that not only did the GP recognise what it was but was also open to upping the dosage.

I'll keep you updated on how things transpire!

P

Passer

Thanks for posting your story.
Hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Cheers Passer.

So far so good, nothing but the normal aches and pains of age and old injurys! I have felt like vomiting a few times after taking the tablets but it's worn off after a while.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Thanks for posting that up, it's always good to know about these kind of things, especially as we're a likely bunch to bump into them.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Just showed my missus your photo to see if she could diagnose what it was (she's a GP). She diagnosed it straight away and even told me what she would prescribe and how much!!! Seems she agrees with your GP so that's good :D

Aah the joys of living in a tick infested area :rolleyes:

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Thanks Ecoman-daz and missus, a second opinion right here on the forum :)

Only a week and a bit to go on the antibiotics, bugger is my neighbour invited me to share a bottle of malt yesterday, hope he can resist for that long :D

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Doxycycline 200mg twice a day. I think with antibiotics alcohol can lessen the effect of them? Not too woried really but I am looking forward to a nice glass of red (or two) when I've finished them :)

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Thanks mate.

Just heard the blood test result is negative, which apparently doesn't mean I haven't got it! The EM rash is the clear indicator............

'Testing is not generally considered to be necessary for people with erythema migrans and a history of a tick bite or possible exposure to ticks, as this presentation is sufficient to make a clinical diagnosis of Lyme disease'.

One more week to go on the Doxycycline!

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Its amazing that many GPs around the country still insist on sending post tick bite blood samples for an ELISA (Enzyme-Linked ImmunoSorbent Assay) when the are quite clearly not that accurate at picking up Lyme disease. Erythema migrans does not show on a small percentage of patients so they may be infected and not know it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE