Enormous Augers - and an unusual handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The pics remind me very much of the tools used by the yards which built the old wooden keels. Recently saw something similar being used to drill out the tie-rod holes in wooden leeboards.
And, by golly, the large ones would make beaut marlinespikes.
Regards
Ceeg

Ahhh hadn't considered ship building - that makes a lot of sense! I thought about timber framing on buildings - but why have a range of dowel sizes? Not that I know anything about timber framing!

And no, you can't have them for marlin spikes :)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Ahhh hadn't considered ship building - that makes a lot of sense! I thought about timber framing on buildings - but why have a range of dowel sizes? Not that I know anything about timber framing!

And no, you can't have them for marlin spikes :)

Timber framers do use more than one dowel size. Well, Ben Law does anyway. The size depends on the size of the joint. That said, the bigger sizes in your selection are much larger than anything I've seen used for framing.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Timber framing needs a lot of sizes indeed. Every chisel you use must have an auger of the same diameter. And then there is auger for wooden pegs also, they are the smallest ones. If that's a working augers it would make a great timber framers set combined them with a couple of plain chisels.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
...well I hope they will be a working set when I have de-rusted, sharpened and re-finished them :)

I confess I know very little about timber framing (or ship building come to that)...but a man can learn

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
...well I hope they will be a working set when I have de-rusted, sharpened and re-finished them :)

I confess I know very little about timber framing (or ship building come to that)...but a man can learn

...and it is fun doing so. There are quite a few timber framing courses around and they are great fun if you enjoy using tools.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
What a wonderful set!

I'd wire-brush them first, myself. The really crucial thing is to make sure the cutting faces form the largest diameter. If any of the helical thread is larger, it will jamb in the hole.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just staggered in. Yeah definitely worth running the wire wheel over them first, except keep it way from the cutting edge and gimlet of course. The citric acid works best if the waters boiling to start. For long things like these I use a bit of tubing corked at one end but they are so wide you are looking at drain piping or doing them sideways on in a bit of guttering. Or scrape a small trench and peg a rubble sack or something like mini lined pond. I once tried to use a 2 litre pop bottle, the boiling water made it contract around the piece I'd forced into the cap end and once it was pickled I had to cut the damn thing off. Interesting and all alarming to watch at the time as as it shrank boiling water spewed out of th top...

After a couple of hours they will have pickled as much as they are going to. They should be shiny bright on being pulled out of the liquid but will , if they behave like some I've done, turn black/brown very quickly as the cleaned surface seem to be incredibly prone to rusting. In theory I've read you could leave it as a finish but it sticks in my craw so I give mine a light run over with the wire brush which seems to remove this super easily corroded layer of molecules.

Some I've seen are painted down to all most were the helix starts, some have been all blackened chemically and som bright metal from new. It's what ever floats your boat the helix is usually polished

Best thing to do now is try it on some scrap wood as I've got to this stage and the thing, under the rust, has been as sharp as when the last user prepared it for the next job and put it away.

If its not sharp then it's pretty much what you said you'd do, a bit of filing. Would those small stones I sent be of a size to put a final edge on?.

Since they are all two foot long I'd guess they were for ship building, for the big copper bolts and treenails. Even a small ship would need surprisingly long holes in it! The 40s are quite haphazardly stamped on so probably applied at a yard where they would be a set owned by the firm rather than a workers personal property. They belong to a age when you'd have your name stamped on your own stuff. I keep threatening to have a stamp made up for mine but am too cheap!

Very good point about keeping the cutting end wider than the rest of the helix. I don't touch them if the working ends more rusted than the rest as that will be eaten away by the citric acid and you'd have to grind the rest down.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What a wonderful set!

I'd wire-brush them first, myself. The really crucial thing is to make sure the cutting faces form the largest diameter. If any of the helical thread is larger, it will jamb in the hole.

Good advice - thanks - I'll do that

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nah, the library here lets you have 20 books out at a time and you can guess the weighty tomes I have them digging out of the reserve collection. Stuff that never gets Kindled. Possibly used as kindling but not scanned in...

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE