English?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The thing to remember about text messaging language is that it formed as a result of using a keypad where you had to press the same key up to four times to get the letter you wanted ... also, the number of characters you could have was limited, hence a shortened, concise way of writing emerged. If the recipient didn't understand you then you'd wasted your money. Here I assume that everyone is using a 101/102 key keyboard so I would think that it's unnecessary.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Well,
Some huge generalisation on the map, not sure which is more likley to get you a :boot: :tw: from a derbyshire speaker, saying they talk brummie or mistaking their accent for Yorkshire!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
David

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Yes norfolk suffolk and essex in the same circle! essex and the east end of london and under the bow bells cockney is much of a much me ol dorlin, jellied eels an a glass of gold watch bleedin lovely bobs yer uncle fannys yer aunt :rolmao:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
dtalbot said:
Well,
Some huge generalisation on the map, not sure which is more likley to get you a :boot: :tw: from a derbyshire speaker, saying they talk brummie or mistaking their accent for Yorkshire!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
David

thus nowt wron wre yorkshire laddi

nah be gone befur I haf to tak mi belt to thee

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Even if you don't know what I look like you wont have any trouble working out which one is me at the meet up

I wouldn't want to be mistake for Jake :yikes:
I don't polish my kit with a bit of leather

jakunen

Native
dtalbot said:
Well,
Cheers
David
Hey was I was in Detroit the other year they all thought I was from Australia!:?:

Had great fun winding them up by putting on an Ozzie accent and taking the **** out of them. "G'day Bruce, actually I'm from Wolabra Wonga, me Sheila's...":naughty:

Until my brother thought I was being cruel and put a stop to my fun... 3 days later...:rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
jakunen said:
Had great fun winding them up by putting on an Ozzie accent and taking the **** out of them. "G'day Bruce, actually I'm from Wolabra Wonga, me Sheila's...":naughty:

Detroit? :yikes: Man, you start messin' with someone from Detroit and they are likely to tan your hyde Clyde and hang it on the shed. :rolmao:

Altogether now...

Watch me wallabys feed mate.

Watch me wallabys feed.

They're a dangerous breed mate.

So watch me wallabys feed.

Altogether now!

Tie me kangaroo down sport,

tie me kangaroo down.

Tie me kangaroo down sport,

tie me kangaroo down.

Keep me cockatoo cool, Curl,

keep me cockatoo cool.

Don't go acting the fool, Curl,

just keep me cockatoo cool.

Altogether now!

Take me koala back, Jack,

take me koala back.

He lives somewhere out on the track, Mac,

so take me koala back.

Altogether now!

Mind me platypus duck, Bill,

mind me platypus duck.

Don't let him go running amok, Bill,

mind me platypus duck.

Altogether now!

Play your digeridoo, Blue,

play your digeridoo.

Keep playing 'til I shoot thro' Blue,

play your digerydoo.

Altogether now!

Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred,

tan me hide when I'm dead.

So we tanned his hide when he died Clyde,

(Spoken) And that's it hanging on the shed.

Altogether now!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
There is nothing new in texting abbreviations.

Listen to ham radio operators in morse code, and you find they are sending very odd stuff, eg:

ge dr om es tnx fer call = ur sigs 599 599 fb fer qrp = so hw? K

Literal translation: 'Good evening dear old man and thanks for the call. Your signals are very strong, fully readable with pure tone, a fine business for low power. how do you copy me? Over."

It sounds archaic, but goes back to landline telegraphy in the late 19th century, so it is very old. 'Fer' is much quicker than 'For' as it takes 12 times longerto send 'o' --- than 'e' .

Text abbreviations are the same - a solution to a problem.

jakunen

Native
Hoodoo said:
Detroit? :yikes: Man, you start messin' with someone from Detroit and they are likely to tan your hyde Clyde and hang it on the shed. :rolmao:
Its ok, I was at the knife and gun show and was fully laden.

Wish we had those shows over here. Unless you're military you can't get in to those sort of shows over here. :cry:

Mind you my sister-in-law was a bit red in the face. She was trying not to laugh. Must get out to Yale to see them all.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
When I was a re-enactor we named Rolf as a God of the drinking fire and often had many a good sing-a-long to BIG DOG or Tie me Kangroo up and lets never forget two little boys!!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Cool.... I guess this should be on the claime to fame thread but I'm here now so:
I went to the Glastonbury festival in 93 or 94 and Rolf was headlining....I was there in the main crowd with my digeridoo huffing along as best as I could (can't circular breath - see ashdown thread) which was cool but what was cooler still was that the next day I took my dig over to the ring of rocks they had set out for chilling and hippy stuff and who should be there doing impromptu dig leasons and jamming than Rolf himself.....I sat and jammed with him for about an hour.....it was fab!!!!! And after all that.....I still can't circular breath! lol

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
bambodoggy said:
the next day I took my dig over to the ring of rocks they had set out for chilling and hippy stuff and who should be there doing impromptu dig leasons and jamming than Rolf himself.....I sat and jammed with him for about an hour.....it was fab!!!!!
promote this man quickly !! Get him a throne and a Burmah for a crown and a didge for a sceptre
:super: We're not worthy :super:

Martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE