Elwell no6 axe head restoration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I've been given a rusted old axe head. There was a small bit of handle left but it was damaged by wood worm.
Soaking in vinegar currently and getting a wire wool.scrub every few days. Got some abrasive discs on the way for my grinder to help with the worst bits.
I have never done anything like this so bear with me!
I will take photos and weigh it etc next time I fish it out of its bath!

As the title says, I found it on the 3rd scrubbing that it is an Elwell No6. I know nothing about this brand so I need to do some research!

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have a couple of Elwells that I've restored (actually, I've only got one left, I must stop giving them away). As Mesquite says they made excellent axes at a time when British Steel was some of the world's best. Don't be in a rush to take an abrasive disc to it though, a few pits and scars are a bit of its history. As long as you've taken any rust off it and the cutting edge is clean and sharp doesn't matter if there is a bit of pitting left.

Elwell got amalgamated with such companies as Brades in 1967 to become Spearwell and then into Spear and Jackson a few years later. They started as Edward Elwell in 1799!

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
Dammit. I forgot to take before pictures. I took it out of the vinegar bath and took a wire brush to it. Looking a lot better.
How does one clean out rust in the eye?

Found a serial? Number. 55275. Any ideas??

Last edited:

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
Dammit. I forgot to take before pictures. I took it out of the vinegar bath and took a wire brush to it. Looking a lot better.
How does one clean out the eye?

Found a serial? Number. 55275. Any ideas??
I some times drill a large hole to start and bash about with a screwdriver to split bits of the inside of the hole or piece of wood and just knock it out, cut the handle off as close to the head a possible.

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE